Shrimp Help!

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Marinedude17422, Jul 13, 2015.

1. M

Marinedude17422 New Member Member

I've been doing a ton of research, and I just need someone to give me a straight answer:;banaman

If I want to have a planted shrimp nano tank (1-3) gallons, do I need a filter?

If so, would a UGF filter work if I used java ferns and moss?

If not, what would my water changes look like and how would i cycle the tank before the addition of the shrimp?

Thanks so much

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I am not a shrimp expert, however, from what I have learned with a shrimp only tank, you do not need a normal filter. Many people will use a sponge filter in these tanks. It is hard to keep a cycle in this type of a tank because the waste produced is so small, your plants will probably eat it all before it can harm anything. So my final answer would be no, in your case you will not need a filter. An airstone would be good though to provide surface agitation and water movement. As for water changes, I think 10-15% a week would be fine, maybe 25% every 2 weeks. Make sure you use some fertilizer for your plants!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I'm going to plus one on this. No filter. If you have enough plants it will help keep the cycle though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I've kept shrimp and snails in a planted 3 gallon glass cookie jar. I used a sponge filter and everyone thrived. One gallon water change per week, because of the mystery snail. It is very doable.

6. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

A small sponge filter would be preferable but in a well planted tank you do not necessary need a filter for shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice