Shrimp/Goby pair?

LiterallyHydro
I have a 29G LPS reef that I want to add some more fish to. I currently have only a pair of Ocellaris clownfish in the tank and would like to add another fish. I was thinking something like a shrimp and goby pair.. A Yellow Watchman goby maybe.. Is there anything I need to know about keeping them? Any specific requirements?

I'm also concerned about pistol shrimp. I heard that they can sometimes start killing off inverts or corals.. Is that true? I have a lot of snails, some hermits and a cleaner shrimp. I wouldn't want them to get hurt.

the planted guy
Pistol shrimp will not kill corals or anything like that, they will hunt smaller crustaceans, put some bivalve shells in the water so the caves they build will last, you also need a sand bed thicker than or as thick as 4 inches or taller, have two shrimp and two gobies for more action, I would also try smaller gobies if your sand bed doesn't meet the requirements or more colorful thinks, but watchmen goby eat some pests so that is your choice and I have full confidence in you that you will accomplish having a pistol shrimp/goby pair.
Sincerely.
Me

LiterallyHydro
Hmm. I do have a pretty shallow sandbed.. What else could I stock in a 29G reef? I'm open to any options.

the planted guy
Add more sand in a spot that allows or get a new tank, or re-aquascape the tank(that will be difficult)
Try the first or second ones

the planted guy
You could try a mandarin, or blu tang or firefish goby, or pink scooter goby, or skunk cleaner shrimp, or bubble coral with some spotted cleaner shrimps on it. or orangutan crabs, or pedersonshrimp, banded coral shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, or-my favorite- a mated harlequin shrimp pair which eats starfish.

LiterallyHydro
I'll see if I can pile a lot of sand on one side later. The tank is still fairly new (~1 month old) so I shouldn't cause any problems moving the sandbed around a bit. I'm also going to look into other stocking options at the same time though.

Edit: I also know already that mandarins need a lot of pods, more than a 30G could handle most likely. A blue tang gets over a foot long and would need a 180 system or so. A firefish I have considered, as well as a blue/green chromis or a royal gramma.

LiterallyHydro
How about some pajama cardinals? They look pretty cool and I would like to have some

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom