Shrimp GH help ordered salty shrimp

Shrimplover53

I have 20 gh using test strips. Is this too low?? Some of my shrimp have been dying and im wondering if this is the cause. I ordered salty shrimp, so how much should i put in? What should i get it to?

fishydaddy

It honestly seems a bit high. However I am not sure if it's high enough to cause mortalities. You may want to start doing water changes with RO/DI water mixed into your normal water to lower the hardness a bit if your tap water comes out fairly hard.

Shrimplover53

It honestly seems a bit high. However I am not sure if it's high enough to cause mortalities. You may want to start doing water changes with RO/DI water mixed into your normal water to lower the hardness a bit if your tap water comes out fairly hard.
Its 20 on the test strips. I use RO water. Im looking at the form of measurement rn and it says mg/L

fishydaddy

Ah! Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Then it would be around 1 dDH, so yeah, a bit low! I would aim for around 4-6 dDH, you should see dosing on the product package with a formula for how much salt=degrees hardness. For reference, 1dDH=17.9 mg/L

Shrimplover53

Ah! Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Then it would be around 1 dDH, so yeah, a bit low! I would aim for around 4-6 dDH, you should see dosing on the product package with a formula for how much salt=degrees hardness. For reference, 1dDH=17.9 mg/L
2 g (full spoon) per 10 litres of water. A ratio of 1.0 gh to 0.5 kh. How many scoops do you think?

fishydaddy

I'll need to know your tank size to calculate :) but I would raise the hardness slowly, maybe raise it 1 dDH every other day.

Shrimplover53

I'll need to know your tank size to calculate :) but I would raise the hardness slowly, maybe raise it 1 dDH every other day.
10 gallons. Thats for the help :)

fishydaddy

You'll need about 3 spoonfuls (6.7g) to raise your tank volume's hardness by 1 dGH (ignore my typos idk why i was typing dDH before :,) )

To raise the tank's GH to around 4 dGH you'll need a total of 9 spoonfuls. I would add those 9 spoonfuls over the course of a week so you don't shock the shrimp. I suppose you could do a scoop a day over the course of 9 days to be safe.
and to confirm, its 1.0 dGH to 0.5 dKH, not 1.0 mg/L GH to 0.5 mg/L KH correct? I just want to make sure the math is 100% right.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
GinkoTracks
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
  • Question
Replies
Views
John58ford