Shrimp gathering at surface?

hrrenee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI all. So I am a bit puzzled as to why this is happening, as there are no reasons why this should be happening, but it is.

All of my shrimp are gathered at the very tippy tops of my plants, one even had its head out of the water. Now in the past this has happened before (month or two ago in a different tank), it was because I didn’t have an air stone and there wasn’t enough air in the water.

I have a air stone in the tank, so it’s not the lack of oxygen. Tank is cycled. No spikes or anything. Temp is 78. Substrate is sand, with a piece of drift wood (forgot which specific kind but my amanos love it) and a bunch of Java ferns / amazon swords / Anubis.

This is new behavior; it’s been going on since the last two nights. Nothing has changed; except for the 20 shrimp babies that have hatched and been slowly growing the last few days. Other than that,zip. I’m start to get worried.

I don’t think my shrimp are stressed, as usually when my Amanos are stressed they end up turning slightly red or pink, but no, they are all fine.

I did a large water change just in case. What do you all think?

Asomeone

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well just because you have an airstone does not mean you have enough oxygen in the tank. What size tank is this? What are your nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.
An airstone adds o2 to the water by the bubbles at the surface popping, adding surface disruption. Its possible you do not have enough surface circulation and thus the tank is not properly exchanging gases. Although, I don't think this is the root of your issues.
What is your filtration method? How often do you change water? is this tank heavily planted or lightly? 10% cover vs 90% covered type thing.
Do you have excess algae growth?
My shrimp tend to crowd the top of the tank when it is feeding time. Otherwise they disappear into the plants. I would absolutely test levels and get back to us.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't do large WC's with shrimp but instead do a few small WC's weekly. Getting all your water parameters will be helpful. Ammonia,Nitrites, Nitrates, Ph, GH, KH. There is an emergency shrimp template ( a search on here will find it ) that richie.p made that would be very helpful to fill out with all your current situations and the Shrimp pros will be able to help you out. Good luck

OP
H

hrrenee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are 0.
Filtration method is a small filter that is mostly submerged inside the water. Not running any CO2. Tank is 10 gallons. I would say my tank is medium planted. I change the water every week. No algae problems. :(

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hrrenee said:
Ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are 0.
Filtration method is a small filter that is mostly submerged inside the water. Not running any CO2. Tank is 10 gallons. I would say my tank is medium planted. I change the water every week. No algae problems. :(
Ususally there r traces of nitrates ina cycled tank. I would look into a GH/KH test kit cause those reading are also helpful when keeping shrimps.

OP
H

hrrenee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Ususally there r traces of nitrates ina cycled tank. I would look into a GH/KH test kit cause those reading are also helpful when keeping shrimps.
I would get one of those GH/KH test kits, but my whole state wide is in a stay at home type situation. The only pet store closest to me is open limited hours, and They don’t have any more of those specific test kits. I can try ordering one on amazon, but it won’t be here for a few weeks.

Asomeone

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
API makes those specific test kits and unless its a mom and pop shop id guess they'd have em. But I understand not wanting to go out in these time. If everything you can test is zero id suggest adding a bit of surface agitation and monitoring their appearance.

OP
H

hrrenee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asomeone said:
API makes those specific test kits and unless its a mom and pop shop id guess they'd have em. But I understand not wanting to go out in these time. If everything you can test is zero id suggest adding a bit of surface agitation and monitoring their appearance.
No I know, I mean they ran out and they told me their shipment is delayed a few weeks because of everything that’s happening :/ I also live in a ruralish area, so the next petco store that’s nearby is 25-30 miles away :/ I will increase my surface agitation and try to see if that helps anything

OP
H

hrrenee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Little update; I was able to get the API GH&KH test kit! It shows that my GH is at 6, and my KH is at 4. Is this good for red cherry shrimp and amanos?

New Threads