Shrimp Friend Or Foe

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The denser the ground cover the better chance the shrimp will have. So I would do plants first, get them established then add shrimp.

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
The denser the ground cover the better chance the shrimp will have. So I would do plants first, get them established then add shrimp.
Thanks, so I'll have to add some kind of substrate over the gravel? Suggestions?

nope said:
How large is your tank?
It's 28.5 gls.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nope said:
How large is your tank?
Profile says 28.5 gallons.
I will admit I'm not the best person to ask about plants. I can kill an air firn.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Samanthaljay said:
no shrimp experience here but I have amazon swords in regular gravel with no problems. I just use fert tabs
Water column plants like java moss, anubias, and java fern dont require any special gravel since their roots dont require it. You can get away with a squirt of ferts every once in a while. They are also low light easy grow. Sorry that was meant for @Bacalaotropic

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hola Sam...,will fert tabs be ok for all plants? Will fish eat them? Btw, is that beautiful blue castle in your tank?

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kathryn Crook said:
Water column plants like java moss, anubias, and java fern dont require any special gravel since their roots dont require it. You can get away with a squirt of ferts every once in a while. They are also low light easy grow. Sorry that was meant for @Bacalaotropic
Thanks Kat, I hadn't thought about the light, mine is a T8 but I don't turn it on often. Where is a good place to buy plants?

Samanthaljay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bacalaotropic said:
Hola Sam...,will fert tabs be ok for all plants? Will fish eat them? Btw, is that beautiful blue castle in your tank?
The fert tabs go under the gravel so the plants roots can get them. I have not noticed my fish going after them at all! I believe they do work for all plants but I only have the swords so I can't say. I just put one under the gravel and it says they are good for about 3 months.

Yes I love my castle! I am a total harry potter nerd and that is my Hogwarts

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Samanthaljay said:
The fert tabs go under the gravel so the plants roots can get them. I have not noticed my fish going after them at all! I believe they do work for all plants but I only have the swords so I can't say. I just put one under the gravel and it says they are good for about 3 months.

Yes I love my castle! I am a total harry potter nerd and that is my Hogwarts
Wow it's awesome, the blue is from a light?

Samanthaljay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bacalaotropic said:
Wow it's awesome, the blue is from a light?
it is blue in color but the lights are definitely making it 'glow'. It is a huge 2 piece castle, I only have 1 part. If/when I upgrade in size I would love to have the other piece to complete it!

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Samanthaljay said:
it is blue in color but the lights are definitely making it 'glow'. It is a huge 2 piece castle, I only have 1 part. If/when I upgrade in size I would love to have the other piece to complete it!
How big is your tank? What's in your stock

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bacalaotropic said:
Thanks Kat, I hadn't thought about the light, mine is a T8 but I don't turn it on often. Where is a good place to buy plants?
I got my first “starter plants” from aquarium arts on Amazon. Maybe someone else has better suggestions. I bought a package that came with java moss, anubias, java fern, marimo balls, and moneywort.

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Samanthaljay said:
I have a 29 gal. right now it is kind of a random stock... I unfortunately had a recent week of nonstop deaths (columnaris I presume but still figuring it out) but I currently have gold tetras, black harlequin rasboras and a panda cory. Getting ready to set up a QT and slowly restock.
Oh how sad, but fear not, wish u well w the QT restocking. I'm new also but no losses so far. Gbu FL friend.

Kathryn Crook said:
I got my first “starter plants” from aquarium arts on Amazon. Maybe someone else has better suggestions. I bought a package that came with java moss, anubias, java fern, marimo balls, and moneywort.
Hey, that sounds like a good start. Let's see what they have , and if they ship to the Caribbean. Thanks so much.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bacalaotropic said:
Hey, that sounds like a good start. Let's see what they have , and if they ship to the Caribbean. Thanks so much.
Good luck! I wasnt sure bout the shipping to your area...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom