Shrimp For A 20 Gallon Tall Planted Aquarium

Whitethorn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have a 20 gallon tank. In it, I have a dwarf gourami and some tetras. I'm not sure if i could add in some shrimp to take care of the algae... It's pretty well planted with places to hide and I will be adding some frogbit in some time later. Will the fish attack? Is it a bad idea? Please tell me!

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I always hear mixed reports about anabantoids and shrimp, and in the end it all comes down to personality. My betta gets along well just fine with ghost shrimp (possibly because they’re about the same size he is), though not everyone has had success in housing the two together.

If you have a lot of hiding places, chances of survival are increased exponentially. I think small shrimp like cherries would be a little too temptingly bite-sized for a dwarf gourami, but ghost shrimp and Amano shrimp could possibly work. Here’s my suggestion: buy a few ghost shrimp (they’re cheap—about half a dollar where I got mine). That way, if the gourami eats them, you didn’t spend lots of money on a shrimp that just ended up as a snack. If the gourami seems to leave them alone, you can add more.

Good luck with your shrimp!

Whitethorn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
all-out-fallout said:
I always hear mixed reports about anabantoids and shrimp, and in the end it all comes down to personality. My betta gets along well just fine with ghost shrimp (possibly because they’re about the same size he is), though not everyone has had success in housing the two together.

If you have a lot of hiding places, chances of survival are increased exponentially. I think small shrimp like cherries would be a little too temptingly bite-sized for a dwarf gourami, but ghost shrimp and Amano shrimp could possibly work. Here’s my suggestion: buy a few ghost shrimp (they’re cheap—about half a dollar where I got mine). That way, if the gourami eats them, you didn’t spend lots of money on a shrimp that just ended up as a snack. If the gourami seems to leave them alone, you can add more.

Good luck with your shrimp!
Thank you! I will try my best!

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Whitethorn said:
Thank you! I will try my best!
Sure thing! Also, if you use floating the bag as part of the acclimation process, that will help too. My betta was so curious about my shrimp that he swam up to the bag and followed them as they moved around. I waited until he stopped eyeballing them to start introducing them to the tank. I think letting Cyprus (the betta) inspect them while they were still in the bag helped him decide not to eat them, or even harass them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom