Shrimp For 3g Tank

omordn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all. It's been over a month since I've lost my betta and since then I've had an empty 3G tank on my desk. Well, I shouldn't say empty. It's still running and it currently consists of one nerite snail, 2 annubia plants, and one piece of driftwood.

I can't bring myself to buy another betta. So, to put this tank into good use I was thinking of maybe adding some shrimp. I've never owned any shrimp before so I'm not sure what type of shrimp would work well in this tank.

One concern I do have is that I want to make sure the shrimp I plan on adding to this tank do not reproduce. I remember reading somewhere that shrimp can do this easily.

Any help/assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Amano shrimp cannot reproduce in freshwater, so they would work. However, you could not keep more than a couple in a 3 gallon as there would be too much competition for food. 1 Amano per 2-3 gallons is enough for most tanks.

You could also try ghost shrimp. They are low-order breeders (their babies go through several larval stages) and won't breed profusely.

There are also sites, such as Aquatic Arts, that sell all-male dwarf shrimp packages so you can enjoy the color and personality of the shrimp without lots of babies. However, once you have shrimp successfully breed, you'll want to replicate it over and over again. It's extremely rewarding seeing lots of tiny shrimp babies thriving in your tank!

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don't do an amano in a 3g. Way too big and not enough food.

Check out ghost shrimp and cherries. May I ask why you do not want the shrimp to reproduce? Shrimp have a generally short life-style, and high grades are usually quite expensive. they will breed to capacity of the tank and then stop. Then you have lots of beautiful shrimp all over, and never have to worry about tem all dying.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I should remove my Amano from my 3g bowl then... >_>
Thing is, more experienced people could do it. Heavily planted bowl an Amano and cherries = gorgeous. But, if OP doesn't plant heavily/keep up on water changes, they could have to supplement with algae, ect.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thing is, more experienced people could do it. Heavily planted bowl an Amano and cherries = gorgeous. But, if OP doesn't plant heavily/keep up on water changes, they could have to supplement with algae, ect.
Gotcha. I thought Takashi Amano had a formula for how many Amanos and otos per so many gallons to use, something like one Amano per 3 gallons. Very heavily planted bowl getting Bacter AE and shrimp food a few times a week, shrimp seem to be healthy and happy.

omordn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you all for your responses. Like I said... I'm totally new to anything shrimp. As far as the reproduction, only reason why I'm weary of this is because I don't want my small 3G tank to be crowded. Although, if what you guys are telling me is true, on how they maintain their numbers based on the amount of space they have available then by all means... I am ok with this.

I plan on removing my current drift wood since it's a bit bulky and takes up a bit of space. Maybe downgrade the wood to something a bit more precise and perhaps add another plant or two.

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd go for the red cherries... easy to take care of and very cute!

You could do a SMALL school (no more than 3-4) of nanofish... Maybe minnows or some kind of tetra
You would just have to be extra good about water changes

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom