Shrimp food??

Newbie1234

So I got some Amano shrimp yesterday and cant decide on what to feed them. I will be feeding zucchini when I get it, also shrimp king 5 in 1. But I was just wondering if I could feed them squash? Any other food suggestions would be appreciated too!

BettasAreSuperior

So I got some Amano shrimp yesterday and cant decide on what to feed them. I will be feeding zucchini when I get it, also shrimp king 5 in 1. But I was just wondering if I could feed them squash? Any other food suggestions would be appreciated too!
Here is a video on what to feed cherry shrimp even tho you have amano shrimp. SHrimp are shrimp IMO.

Upvote 0

Newbie1234

Here is a video on what to feed cherry shrimp even tho you have amano shrimp. SHrimp are shrimp IMO.

Do you know if they can eat squash?

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Yes, They can. Shrimp like green food such as spinach and nettles, and vegetables such as kuri squash or zucchini are also suitable for feeding shrimp. Besides vegetable food, shrimp also need a certain amount of protein to keep them from assaulting younger or weaker conspecifics. So, you need some meat as well.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I know neocaridinas (cherry shrimp and other colors) can, but I don't know about amanos. After all, zucchini is a type of squash. They can also eat many other types of vegetable. Mine are eating some poblano pepper right now. They also like spinach.

I always boil the vegetables for a short time just to soften them up so they'll sink.

Upvote 0

Newbie1234

I know neocaridinas (cherry shrimp and other colors) can, but I don't know about amanos. After all, zucchini is a type of squash. They can also eat many other types of vegetable. Mine are eating some poblano pepper right now. They also like spinach.

I always boil the vegetables for a short time just to soften them up so they'll sink.
I do basically the same but microwave them till they turn a little green.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Mine are in a tank with fish and I don't feed them anything. They are doing well in the heavily planted environment though

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Mine are in a tank with fish and I don't feed them anything. They are doing well in the heavily planted environment though

Maybe not intentionally, but I'll bet money they jump on any food that gets past the fish.

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

My amano's are the shrimp I've had the longest.

First, my shrimp tanks are aged to the point of having a good crop of bio film so I basically feed for the simple fact, I feel better doing so not because I actually need to.

But in the start when I was shrimp stupid, they did quite well on crushed flakes, shrimp pellets and algae wafers.

One of the things I love most about my amano shrimp is how cheeky they are when it comes to food. They know when I'm feeding and swoop down to carry off prime bits. I've seen them carry off algae wafer that had to weigh as much as them and flick off cherry shrimp, never hurting them, wanting to share the food.

I don't add extra veggie matter in my shrimp tanks because they are planted tanks, so can't give advice in that area. If your tank is not planted or has not aged enough to produce bio film, then you have already read some excellent advice to follow.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Broggy
  • Question
Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies
Views