Shrimp feeding.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have no baby shrimp in tank ,...just about 6 of shrimps about 6 week old.Should i feed shrimp with bacter AE every 2-3 day?

BettaNgold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed it now but I had just as many shrimplettes when I didn’t use it. Do you have a mix of both males and females. If so, you will have plenty before long. I feed Ken’s Veggie Sticks in morning and Hikari Crab Cuisine at night. The Bacter is fed once or twice a week because I also use betta G.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Once a week is plenty with 6 shrimp I'd only up to twice when theres young

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All gone to water,i dont see food there,how are they going to eat it...interesting...:)

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Once you mix bactor AE it starts to build biofilm on every surface it touches this can be tested by putting your finger on the glass and you find it slippery this is the biofilm which is invisible but are the building blocks that your young needs in its early months for survival

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have this food almond leaf remain in tank for week.It look so ugly.Is this toxic to the shrimp and need to be remove?.

08488978-5A13-4CEB-95AA-F97E9F12D108.jpeg

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
@Vinh this is my feeding program it may give you ideas what to try later on,
I think i got these pic but too many food to buy..I got a few : Aquatic Arts Sinking Pellets (.5 lb) Spirulina Food for Freshwater Invertebrates. Bacter AE.SunGrow Shirakura Food, 1.05-Ounce, Rich in Vitamins and Minerals, Healthy Supplemental Diet for Shrimps.

None of them shrimp like to eat...What else should i spend more which i already spend 60$ .?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some leaves carry phosphorus which can affect water quality but as for almond leaf it's not on my leaf list, that's not to say you cant use it most can bd used maybe theres someone out there using them that can tell us

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it look that ugly while decompose in tank.I search over yahoo picture and seen it look the same..Tks anyway!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dont waste your money on other food the only reason they are not eating what you put in is because theres enough natural food in the tank, ! biofilm off your bactor AE ! stop feeding for 3days then put 1/2 a pellet in for 6 but even that's to much if they dont eat that take it out after a few hrs and dont feed for another two days then this time try a spinach leaf that as been put in boiling water for 40seconds, put it in at lights out and check the following morning

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
Dont waste your money on other food the only reason they are not eating what you put in is because theres enough natural food in the tank, ! biofilm off your bactor AE ! stop feeding for 3days then put 1/2 a pellet in for 6 but even that's to much if they dont eat that take it out after a few hrs and dont feed for another two days then this time try a spinach leaf that as been put in boiling water for 40seconds, put it in at lights out and check the following morning
I like your idea and I think so too. Too much natural food for the 6.The snail cant even keep up with what i through in every day...The leaves,the pelet ,the powder,the raw meat,the vegi.....lol..People said: feed less than feed enough to shrimp but look like i wont listen...ha ha..stupid me!

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Vinh said:
I have this food almond leaf remain in tank for week.It look so ugly.Is this toxic to the shrimp and need to be remove?.

View attachment 634051
I use them as well here is a pic of one that has been in this tank at least a month or more. The older dirtier grubby the better. I've seen 20 babies on that one leaf alone. I also use oak, maple, apple and pear all good. I am going gathering this weekend for the winter food. I go with the line of thought that in thier natual habitat the streams are full of fallen leaves etc. My most aged tank, lets call it that as far as litter goes,
is full of babies.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jack B Nimble said:
l here is a pic of one that has been in this tank at least a month or more. The older dirtier grubby the better. I've seen 20 babies on that one leaf alone.
I see ,i see ha ha..no pic.:):).I think i collect enough leaves for winter.With 6 shrimps,they dont eat much.

********a list of some leaves that people say they have used successfully in their shrimp tanks.

Alder

Almond

Apple

Apricot

Ash

Banana

Beech

Cherry

Crabapple

Guava

Hibiscus

Indian Almond

Madrona

Maple

Mulberry

Oak

Peach

Plum

Poplar

Schefflera

Glove Willow

Spinach

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Vinh said:
I see ,i see ha ha..no pic.:):).I think i collect enough leaves for winter.With 6 shrimps,they dont eat much.

********a list of some leaves that people say they have used successfully in their shrimp tanks.

Alder

Almond

Apple

Apricot

Ash

Banana

Beech

Cherry

Crabapple

Guava

Hibiscus

Indian Almond

Madrona

Maple

Mulberry

Oak

Peach

Plum

Poplar

Schefflera

Glove Willow

Spinach
Pretty tough to gather those locally for me anyway. Oak is my go too for us north america.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
Shrimp still not touch spinach but horn snail are all over eating it...lol

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
What I have found most valuable in running a combo shrimp/snail breeder tank is diet variety. The old adage about feeding too much probably applies to me as well I confess. I use a variety of shrimp pellets and baby food powder from Shrimp King as well as algae wafers for the snails. Since I do keep some nanos they also get an alternating regimen of flakes/frozen food and I'm sure some winds up on the bottom so try to vacuum weekly.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@altwitch is right while there is to much food in the tank it's very difficult to get them to feed on a new one. They can live off the biofilm alone for weeks without all the extra food one puts in for other occupants

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I now made one hanging small dish in middle of the water and drop food in.I hope that the shrimp start learning how,where to eat their food instead snail are all over when food just drop in ...if shrimp did not like to eat that food then i pull the dish out of water and clean up or drop them to the snail.

Attachments

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
altwitch said:
What I have found most valuable in running a combo shrimp/snail breeder tank is diet variety. The old adage about feeding too much probably applies to me as well I confess. I use a variety of shrimp pellets and baby food powder from Shrimp King as well as algae wafers for the snails. Since I do keep some nanos they also get an alternating regimen of flakes/frozen food and I'm sure some winds up on the bottom so try to vacuum weekly.
I feed snail not thing.The reason they are there is just for clean up the extra waste food or eating algae..but even thought their population increase like crazy.Got to crush them some time for shrimp food .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom