Shrimp Eggs, Or... What? Help

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Blue172, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Blue172

Blue172New MemberMember

I was completely cleaning out my 5.5 gal and while I was doing so, I found these weird squishy bubbles under my piece of driftwood. I've had the tank set up for about a month with only have a betta and a juvenile molly that I will soon give away, and two blue pearl shrimp. I'm fairly certain one of the shrimps was pregnant when I got them about a week ago, so that is the only explanation I might have.

But there was a slime residue on pretty much everything in the tank, which is why I cleaned it all out, so maybe that has something to do with it? :/

PH: 7.4
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 5 ppm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Shrimomdont lay eggs. They carry the eggs with them until they hatch.

That just looks like some sort of fungus.

3. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

yeah, i think those are just slime bubbles, lol.

4. finnipper59

finnipper59Well Known MemberMember

You mentioned that you've had it set up for a month. There is a certain pathogen called cyanobacteria in many forms. That snotty slime is common on all types of driftwood. Fortunately they eat only a specific type of nutrient found in the wood and will soon starve themselves to death. So the slime will go away on it's own. Yours is actually a minor case. Boiling the wood nor anything else will help. You just have to let it run it's course. It's harmless other than the way it looks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice