Shrimp Dying For Seemingly No Reason

EbiAqua

Bought 30 ghost shrimp yesterday. They were just feeder shrimp, 10 for $2. When brought home I drip acclimated them for an hour and a half and added Stability to my aquarium. Today I woke up and found 1 dead shrimp. Within the span of the last couple of hours I have found 5 more. I'm seeing a lot of moltings on the bottom. Are what I presume to be dead shrimp actually just molting shrimp? They are lying on their backs and sides, completely unresponsive, but not all of them were the milky opaque pinkish-white color they turn when dead or dying.

One is lying on it's back right now, not discolored, barely moving it's legs and occasionally flexing it's tail a bit.

Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, temp is 79 F.

flchamp89

Sometimes hard to tell when there molting or dying. Pretty common to molt shortly after adding them. I would also except some deaths with adding 30. Dont you have other shrimp in there? Hows gh?

EbiAqua

Sometimes hard to tell when there molting or dying. Pretty common to molt shortly after adding them. I would also except some deaths with adding 30. Dont you have other shrimp in there? Hows gh?
Unfortunately I don't have a way of measuring GH or KH currently. My pH is usually around 6.4-6.5 because I inject CO2, not sure if that's necessary information though...

flchamp89

o2 levels ok ? Those feeder shrimp are often in poor shape

maggie thecat

Ghost shrimp are often a gamble. They are expected to get eaten, so they often don't get much care or consideration in transport.

All you can really do is treat them gently and feed them well after you get them home and prepare to have losses.

EbiAqua

o2 levels ok ? Those feeder shrimp are often in poor shape

There should be, I have my spray bar creating plenty of surface movement and lots of plants.

flchamp89

Id keep an eye on them. Its 6 bucks. If too many die need probably due some research

flchamp89

Fahn How are the shrimp

EbiAqua

Fahn How are the shrimp
Quite a few more died after posting this, maybe 5-6. I performed a 20% water change, added Stability, and positioned the spray bar so there was more aeration. Problem seems to be solved and my clown pleco, who hadn't eaten in 10 days and I thought would surely die, suddenly perked up and began eating.

EbiAqua

Update:. Since last answering this thread I'm finding one dead shrimp every other day. This morning, however, the bottom of my tank was littered with 7-8 dead shrimp. Water is markedly cloudy.

I don't understand what is happening. I feed them daily, am diligent with my weekly water changes, use Stability,and Ammonia and Nitrites are 0.

flchamp89 suggestions?

flchamp89

Refresh my memory.

What fish you have?
Co2?
How old is tank?
Ph?

Shrimp are tough for me to completely figure out sometime. Ive lost few of mine.
Things I know. They typically go great to dead quick. Stabile parameters important. Bio film and plants very helpful. Can stress easy. First berried female often drops them. Once first shrimpletes survive seems to get easier as there born into parameters. One thing I'm currently studying is water changes and shrimp. Tds is important. I'm certainly not expert but I'm getting better.

EbiAqua

1 dwarf gourami, 10 Glowlight Tetras, 2 nerite snail's, 1 clown pleco

Injected co2, drop checker usually bright neon green bordering on yellow (sometimes yellow)

Tank has been up since the beginning of December.

Not around to check pH, but it average about 6.5

Some shrimp, but not all, exhibit a peculiar behavior before they tend to die. For seemingly hours on end, they swim nonstop in circles around the top of the tank, right at the surface. No other fish have shown signs of stress. I also had a nerite die yesterday. It just stopped moving and stayed in one spot.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've introduced something not invertebrate friendly into the water. I'll be taking the mystery rocks out soon.

flchamp89

Its possible that you introduced something. Imo you have 11 fish that I wouldn't keep with shrimp. Some will argue that gourami inhabite only certain areas of tank and lots of plants you should be ok. Which you may. But stress on animals is sometime hard to see. Never owned glolights but I'm sure if they wanted to they could make a meal. But maybe they are fine but it still probably stressful to shrimp.

runner

How often do you feed your fish and what do you feed? I think ghosts need to be fed more often than cherry or amano. I've found that my amano and my rilI shrimp are constantly happy pounding away on whatever film builds up on the drift wood and plants. But the ghost shrimp are rarely up on plant leaves or drift wood, they walk around the sand and between the plants looking for food.

After I moved all my fish from the shrimp tank I stopped feeding that tank regularly. I started getting a loss every few days in a tank that has been established for about 1 year, so in a tank that never experienced any fish loss before I was now losing some ghosts. The only change was no fish and very little fish food feeding. So I started dropping some fish food again. And the ghosts go nuts for it but the amano and rilI rarely go for it and are happy to just munch away at whatever film is growing on the wood and plants. In fact if I put in some flake food that floats for a little bit the ghosts will actually swim upside down to try and grab it from the surface. Feed them and watch that the fish don't get it all. In my mixed tank I trick my platys and guppys with floating food in one corner and drop some sinking food in the other corner to give my shrimp and corydoras a chance at the bottom.

EbiAqua

Its possible that you introduced something. Imo you have 11 fish that I wouldn't keep with shrimp. Some will argue that gourami inhabite only certain areas of tank and lots of plants you should be ok. Which you may. But stress on animals is sometime hard to see. Never owned glolights but I'm sure if they wanted to they could make a meal. But maybe they are fine but it still probably stressful to shrimp.

The gourami is very peaceable, but is also a glutton. I often worry his tank mates aren't getting enough to eat. As for the glowlights they are only about an inch long and seem to coexist peacefully with the gourami and shrimp.

I just performed a 50% water change and added prime and stability. I've also removed the rocks from the tank just in case.

I only have a handful of shrimp left now. Hopefully they do alright...

flchamp89

I know ive had trouble in newer tanks too

psalm18.2

Probably a bad batch of shrimp.

Junne

I agree that if your water parameters are stable, its probably caused ( maybe indirectly ) from the stress of your other occupants. You can't see what your fish are doing when the lights go out and its very possible they may be picking at them to the point of death. Shrimp are easy prey for most fish.

purslanegarden

Feeder shrimp are notorious for having weak constitutions. Any change in their environment could lead to their deaths. Just trying to molt and grow could lead to them dying. That's how fragile they are.

At the same time, there is Old Tank Syndrome. Your current inhabitants have become accustomed to your tank, but any new additions, especially including shrimp that have a tendency to die even in good tanks, may succumb fairly quickly.

However, that's not to say that's your situation. Just info for anyone else who might be reading.

I myself bought 20 back in October. Their number dwindled until now there are 4 left, and they have been alive for several weeks now. Maybe this is the stable number for my tank.

kpike78

I have both Amanos and Yellow neos. I started with 8 Amanos and lost 3 in the past year (I since replaced them). I got the neos two weeks ago and although it is tricky to find them I can count at least 10. However, both species are more expensive than yours and I expect better cared for at the store. The feeder shrimp at my LFS are kept in a terrible looking tank compared to the other shrimp. I think they are kept alive as food and that's about it. Sad, really.

EbiAqua

Well, went to go turn off my lights for the night and there appears to be another shrimp dying. Just performed a 50% water change yesterday. All I'm putting into the tank is a dose of Excel in the morning. The shrimp are being fed every day. Tank temp is 80. Haven't tested ammonia or nitrites but assume they are nonexistent, especially only 24 hours after a water change with Prime and Excel. I also inject CO2 and plants are pearling so O2 should not be an issue.

The shrimp is not palid, but is lethargic, lying on it's side and barely moving it's legs. When touched it tail flicks backwards.

Is this just a bad batch of shrimp? In seemingly ideal conditions they are dropping on an almost daily basis. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and will either order some RCS or just give up on putting any shrimp in this tank at all.

kpike78

Honestly, my guess is cheap feeder shrimp that were poorly cared for before you got them. Try the RCS and I think you'll have better luck.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom