Shrimp doing well, and random tip I saw worked.

Shadowfox

So my shrimp were busy while I was off work for a week. I've lots of shrimplets in my tank now, and sadly lots of seed shrimp too :( I had a stunted guppy in the tank with my shrimp and she'd kept the numbers down. Since I knew I had shrimplets (and more on the way) I took that guppy home to the big tank.
None of my shrimp got berried until I brought in that guppy, I'd read somewhere that many keep guppies in their shrimp tanks because it helps them breed. Seems to be very true! So if you're having trouble try putting in a guppy.

Since I have a new batch of tiny fry, I'm hoping they'll be small enough to not eat the shrimplets but big enough to eat the seed shrimp. Because there are way too many of the seed shrimp and my other method of vaccuming the tank wont work either as I'll vac up the shrimplets.

BigManAquatics

Yeah, shrimp to have almost symbiotic relationships with some other water critters. Wonder why the guppy thing works...maybe a guppy specific hormone in the water that helps shrimp breed, too?

Shadowfox

Yeah, shrimp to have almost symbiotic relationships with some other water critters. Wonder why the guppy thing works...maybe a guppy specific hormone in the water that helps shrimp breed, too?
Well guppies breed just as often as the shrimp do, so yes it might be some hormone they give off which signals the shrimp it's safe to berry up.
Totally lucked out this morning, one of my other female guppies had fry last night so I brought 4 of them in for my work tank to be with the shrimp, I managed to get the tiniest of the fry too so should have a few weeks before they might be an issue for shrimplets.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MiniPop
  • Question
Replies
Views
RedGallant
Replies
Views
Lauryn
Replies