Shrimp Difficulty Molting

hardyfish

Reaction score
My shrimps lately seems to have molting prematurely and have difficulty molting. At first exoskeleton was more white and now it is becoming clearee. One is semi molt now for one hour now. What to do?
1524296220653.jpg

Neutral-Waterinos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hardyfish said:
My shrimps lately seems to have molting prematurely and have difficulty molting. At first exoskeleton was more white and now it is becoming clearee. One is semi molt now for one hour now. What to do?View attachment 431282
Maybe your PH is too low? Shrimps and other inverts need a high PH in order for it to molt or else the acidic water dissolved their shells I think. Also another problem might be the lack of calcium and other minerals in your tank, maybe try putting some crushed coral in the filter or some cuttlefish bone, I place cuttlefish bone in my shrimp tank every now and then and I find them knawing on it. Maybe try a water change to maybe try replenish the water’s mineral content : )

goodluck keep us updated!

hardyfish

Reaction score
I did not mention my ph is 8.4 from API test kit. GH is high definitely more than 10 maybe too high from tetra test stripes and KH around 5. Colours are very inaccurate however.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The pH actually has very little to do with the moltong, most shrimp actually need very acidic water. I think you're thinking of snails, those are the ones that acidic water can dissolve their shells. If those are cherry shrimp, they honestly should be able to survive very hard water and high pH. You may want to try buying a gallon of RO/DI water (80¢ at Walmart) and mixing it with your tap in slowly increasing increments during water changes in order to bring it down. If those are not cherry shrimp, it's likely the hard water is making their shells too thick for them to get out of them. I'm sorry for your losses, I hope we can figure this out

hardyfish

Reaction score
Rtessy said:
The pH actually has very little to do with the moltong, most shrimp actually need very acidic water. I think you're thinking of snails, those are the ones that acidic water can dissolve their shells. If those are cherry shrimp, they honestly should be able to survive very hard water and high pH. You may want to try buying a gallon of RO/DI water (80¢ at Walmart) and mixing it with your tap in slowly increasing increments during water changes in order to bring it down. If those are not cherry shrimp, it's likely the hard water is making their shells too thick for them to get out of them. I'm sorry for your losses, I hope we can figure this out
Thanks for your help. This is the second shrimp I have seen struggling to remove the exoskeleton, she managed to survive after 8 hours. They are cherry shrimps. I am not sure however if the exoskeleton was hard, or if the molting was premature. The first two weeks molting was easier and exoskeletons more white and not broken. Now moltings became harder and exoskeletons are more transparent in colour and broken. I have them for less than a month in a cycled aquarium. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5 nitrates. 54 litters with 15 cherry shrimp. Very small water changes 2 litters every 4 to seven days. Still not breeding also, but active. Can overfeeding, quality of food (I give them the same food as my betta fish) or any stress from light switching on and off contribute to the issue, in addition to my hard water?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Too much protein can also cause molting issues, so maybe try feeding algae wafers or blanched veggies. Betta food has very high protein content, so if they're only being fed that plus eating available alage, it's a good idea to try feeding only veggies for a while and see if that helps. What's the temperature? And when you do water changes do you match the temperature? Does it fluctuate at all?

hardyfish

Reaction score
Rtessy said:
Too much protein can also cause molting issues, so maybe try feeding algae wafers or blanched veggies. Betta food has very high protein content, so if they're only being fed that plus eating available alage, it's a good idea to try feeding only veggies for a while and see if that helps. What's the temperature? And when you do water changes do you match the temperature? Does it fluctuate at all?
No water temperature flactuations. I have my heater off, but temperature is around 23.5 c in the morning to 24 c in the afternoon and the water changes are at room temperature. I will change their diet then. I will try tomorrow to feed them a piece of blanched carrot .

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I hope the diet change helps, you're really doing everything else perfectly from what I can tell.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom