Shrimp Deaths Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Natatat, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Natatat

NatatatNew MemberMember

In the last week I have lost 11 cherry shrimp and 3 of my ammano. My water reads as 0 ammonia 0nitrite and 10 nitrate . Ph 7.2 it's a 20g long with 5 endlers.
    I haven't done anything different to the tank so why would this happen ?
    I have noticed some teeny tiny white bug things , could they be the cause ?
    Please can someone help , I am absolutely gutted .

2. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Do you know your gH, kH, or TDS? Look up pictures or Hydra, do the white bugs resemble them at all? They are pretty small, I have a picture of some if you need. Also, look at copepods, those are harmless. Do you know if your water lines have been cleaned recently? Have you recently used any medications? If so, what?

3. OP
    OP
    Natatat

NatatatNew MemberMember

I don't know the gh Kh or tds but I can get test kits , we do have quite hard water though.
    I've never used any meds in this tank.
    The little bugs walk on the side of the tank and on the substrate so I don't think it's hydra , they are so small and to me they just look like the tiniest of spiders .

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Hard water generally isn't an issue for cherries, unless it's so bad it's unsafe for humans, soft it worse for them. The bugs sound like copepods, those don't hurt shrimp. How new are the shrimp? Any added later on?

5. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

Did you use any fertilizers or medications on the tank that contained copper?

6. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, any meds or ferts with copper? I use ferts with copper, although my golden rule of thumb is not to allow any amount of copper to escalate past 1.0 ppm. Also read an article that anything beyond 4.0 ppm will eventually lead to shrimp deaths, but...not sure if that's actually true or not! Most ferts nowadays anyway have less than .00010ppm. even at 5 ml dosages.

And just how hard is your water? Usually Cherry shrimp can tolerate a pretty high ph of 8.0 FYI...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  7. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Copper levels much lower than this can still cause problems, which is an issue as the level doesn't always show up on tests. 0.3 is lethal most times, and even lower than that can be lethal. And lol I already mentioned cherries are fine with hard water
    Also OP confirmed no meds, ferts are a good question though, I forgot about those

8. OP
    OP
    Natatat

NatatatNew MemberMember

Thank you for the replies . I haven't used anything at all , I have mainly low light plants and they are ok so didn't want to add anything unnecessary.
    I added the cherrys 4/5 months ago, then 4 more 2 week ago.
    One shrimp died while I was observing , it went on its side and was twitching then dead. It's so frustrating .

9. OP
    OP
    Natatat

NatatatNew MemberMember

Ok so I've just switched on my lights and there's another 2 shrimp dead . The shrimp next to the dead shrimp has these bugs on his mouth . I've attached a video still , IMG_1889.jpg please excuse the green spot algae. I am going lose all my shrimp at this point and feel like throwing in the towel .

10. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Okay, that looks like scutarellia and is actually surprisingly easy to deal with. However, that looks like a moderate infection and I don't know if that can cause the twithing. It can easily be treated with 45-60 second salt dips, but that does require catching the shrimp. Also you will want to remove any molts as they will most the parasite off. Alternatively, you could buy some PraziPro and use that at 3/4 to full dose, it took me two 3/4 dose and bam, they're gone. Entirely snail safe as well. The twitching indicates either some kind of toxin in the water or a bacterial infection. I actually started having that problem with my CRS, and I'm going to visit someone who can help me today, so I'll tell you what they say as well.

11. OP
    OP
    Natatat

NatatatNew MemberMember

Thank you so much , I came to the same conclusion but what's confusing me is I also seen some of the little mites on the substrate , is that normal ? Do you know what else I could use other than prazipro? Im in the U.K. And not able to source it . My lfs suggested using esha2000 , does anyone have any experience with this ?
    I've also noticed I've got some more shrimplets I think it's going to be impossible to eradicate as theyre so tiny to catch.

12. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I hadn't seen them on the substrate, but they were so small I could barely see them on the shrimp! I don't have experience with that, sorry, but I think you may want to try the salt dips in the meantime because at least it will really decrease the number. I've read at least one person use fenbendazole successfully, but that will kill off any snails in the tank. It can also be used to kill planaria and Hydra, so it can be useful to be kept around. I don't know if you can get that in the UK though, it's a dog dewormer. I don't know if it's normal t see them on the substrate, could they be detritus works or something or is it definitely the parasites?

13. OP
    OP
    Natatat

NatatatNew MemberMember

I have finished doing the salt dips , I lifted a big clump of moss up and I have tens and tens of shrimplets so maybe it was them what i mistook for critters as quite a few are so tiny and white .
    I phoned round all the pet shops in my town and the Next and they had no advice or any knowledge on shrimp disease / parasites .
    I have ordered some Paraguard as I seen a thread somewhere and it had been used successfully .
    Thank you so much for your help and input , much appreciated .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice