Shrimp Deaths And Dosage Advice

Karon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so I have had my cherry shrimp for about 3 months now and for the last 3 weeks I have had one shrimp die a week. All the shrimp have been berried females, all of which were born and raised in this tank, and my ammonia has been zero, nitrites have been zero and nitrates have been .5 - 1 at the highest. One of the shrimp I saw who just did nothing for a few hours then fell on her side and moved her legs like she was trying to get up but was never able to and died about an hour or so later. I look at the bodies and they have a slightly more white look to them and I worry that I have the milky shrimp bacterial infection in my tank.

1. What is affecting my shrimp?
2.if it is milky shrimp I have ordered fish ciprofloxacin from Thomas labs, and it says to use a hospital tank but I don't know which ones are affected and which ones are not, can I dose the whole 20 gallon tank? How would I go about dosing?

Things I am doing currently. A 25% water change every week. I have an Indian almond leaf in the tank currently, not boiled or anything beforehand just cleaned/rinsed before putting it in. I am going to get some fennel greens and some cinnamon sticks from my whole foods to feed them and leave in the tank (for the cinnamon stick). Any other pieces of advice would be wonderful!

Also it is heavily planted and there are about 18-20 shrimp still alive and swimming around.

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you using any chemicals? It's not enough to ask for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels these days as some people are adding chemicals as toxic as ammonia and nitrite to their tanks.

Karon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No chemicals other than API water conditioner that binds heavy metals too for my water changes. My ph is pretty high at 8.4 but the shrimp seem to be ok with that because it doesn't change because that's what's out of my tap

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are all the shrimp still eating? Do you think you could medicate the food? Ciprofloxacin is probably going to come in tablets that you're going to have to crush. If you could make a medicated gel food that would eliminate the need to dump a huge dose into the tank and possibly kill your biofilter.

Karon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
that is a very good idea, the shrimp are still eating and active. I think i'm going to try and make my own gel food (things like repashy aren't available in any of my stores around me), with a simple mix of fish food, antibiotics, and gelatin to keep it all together. Should I continue to feed it to them the recommended 5-7 day you think? should i add anything to my simple mix that would be beneficial?

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Karon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is excellent! Thank you!

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Karon, what is the TDS in your tank? I've found even hardy shrimp like cherries will start to have problems if the TDS is too high.

I second the idea to feed them medication if you're going to medicate them. Much more direct delivery system

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
junebug. What is to high for a TDS number? I have not been able to find any info on what is an acceptable value for TDS.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would shoot for TDS below 250 (sadly my tap is 250 LOL) for RCS or their color variants. They are pretty adaptable, though, so if it changes gradually, they will be mostly okay (though I don't think they'd molt as well in really high TDS).

Karon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, so I don't have a tds meter to check that but I have decided to dose their food with it. They have been dosed with it for 7 days now and no deaths, yay. I Will be doing another 25% water change tomorrow to give them some fresh water and try and keep the probable tds down. My future plans for this are to do 25% water changes once a week and an additional 15% one in the middle of the week. I think they do better with the water changes and I Wil be watching closely to see if anything noticeable changes, but i'd be happy enough with no dead shrimps

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've successfully battled milky and internal bacterial infections with daily 30% water changes along with hydrogen peroxide.

What are you feeding them? Is it a actual shrimp food brand? Other foods may have too much copper. For example, Fluval's new Bug Bites, even though I love it, has too much copper and will kill your shrimp over time.

Karon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feed then hikari wafers occasionally, aquatic arts invert food, that claims to have no copper specifically for shrimp and tetracolor granuals which I believe also doesn't list copper as an ingredient. They currently seem to be happy and active and eating with no problem so I think that since they have finished their round of antibiotics that just more water changes might just help keep them clear of anything more.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom