Shrimp death?

itsdimmadome

Reaction score
Ello fish n scrimp peeps

Last September I set up my first red cherry shrimp tank, put shrimp in it within about a month.

I initially got 6, a few died off within the first week or so, thought maybe it wasn't quite cycled enough or maybe I didn't acclimate them properly at the time, my water parameters were fine too, and I slowly acclimated them (I added small amounts of tank water to their bag, wasn't drip acclimation cause I didn't have spare airline at the time so I couldn't but I did tiny amounts of water every few mins, but I've drip acclimated since)

Every few months or so I'll get a few more, but at least half don't make it past a month.
For some reason I can't keep any more than 3 or so alive. I feel terrible because of all the shrimp that haven't made it.

After a month or two I noticed they might have had molting problems, so I added cuddle bone, this I think improved the survival rate, or at least possibly extended it, I noticed more and consistent molts.

Consistently when one dies the others have always looked perfectly fine doing their own shrimp activities, then occasionally, not every time, a few days later another one will die off, once again, all of them look perfectly fine minding their own business grazing around. I test the water before and after every death, there's never any ammonia, and if there is I'll do a small water change. All the other params seem stable too.

I feed them 1 small sinking pellet a day, for about 3 shrimp I gather that's enough. When I did any more than that I had a bit of a detritus worm outbreak, all of those are worms are gone now.

Everything about my tank:
Size: 5 gallons
Ph: 7.6 - 7.8
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Temperature: 78°f
I currently don't have GH or KH test kit but I should soon.
(i'll try to remember to update results when I get the gh/kh kit)

Things in the tank:
Fluval Stratum.
Adjustable Heater.
Sponge filter.
Some driftwood.
A couple quarter sized pieces of cuttlebone.
Java moss.
A small plant which I forget the name of.

Other info:
I don't dose any fertilizers.
I've never had any planaria, only detritus worms.
The shrimp are the only inhabitant, besides the tiiiny little occasional copepod. not a single snail.
No shrimp has any weird abnormalities, no cloudiness or anything on them.

If anyone needs to know anything else, ask away!

Thank you for reading and possibly helping :p

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Shrimps need atleast around a 6month old established cycled tank to be able to properly thrive, that way there's enough time for a biofilm to build up too. Shrimp are so so sensitive, more sensitive than fish. You should've drip acclimated them , so that's the second problem. Also you should get the gh/kg test asap as it's more needed when housing shrimp

OP
I

itsdimmadome

Reaction score
Blueberrybetta said:
Shrimps need atleast around a 6month old established cycled tank to be able to properly thrive, that way there's enough time for a biofilm to build up too. Shrimp are so so sensitive, more sensitive than fish. You should've drip acclimated them , so that's the second problem. Also you should get the gh/kg test asap as it's more needed when housing shrimp
I know I probably should have let it cycle a bit longer, although I do know people who have set up tanks and added shrimp much sooner than I did and they're thriving. my drift wood also had some white fungus stuff (drawing a blank of the techincal name) at the time, which I read fish and shrimp will actually snack on, as they did. my method of acclimation while not optimal, with the tiny amounts of water I was adding, I don't think it would have really changed that much. I do have a gh/kh test kit on the way rn. I meant to have gotten one much sooner. I'll update the post with my GH/KH results when I get the kit.

My question was less what did I do wrong in the first place, because I know and have realized those mistakes, But rather, why am I still having such a hard time keeping them, 6 months out, tons of surface for biofilm, stable water params, and its always just 1 shrimp at a time that has issues, usually days apart.

New Threads