Shrimp Cycling Question

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Danimal6, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Danimal6

Danimal6Valued MemberMember

This may be dumb, but if a tank needs a certain amount of ammonia being produced by its inhabitants to keep the cycle going and rcs produce a very low bioload, what stops the bb from starving? I ask because I'm trying to start a 10g rcs tank and I attempted to seed a sponge filter in my cycled tank, but did I waste time if the shrimp can't produce enough waste to feed the bb? Thanks for any help!

2. BillynJennifer

BillynJenniferValued MemberMember

I keep Mystery Snails in with my shrimp. They produce a lot of waste, and keep the cycle going. Plus, they don't breed out of control like ramshorn snails or bladder snails.

3. OP
    OP
    Danimal6

I definitely wanted to keep some snails with the shrimp, I was leaning more towards nerites than mystery snails though. Either way, as far as the concept goes, how does it work? Not the nitrogen cycle speaking generally, but rather specifically with low bioload shrimp?

4. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

If you are worried, you could do either chili rasboras or CPDs in with them to increase the bioload. They shouldn't harm the shrimp.

I second the mystery snail motion. You can also add nerites.

5. BillynJennifer

If you had shrimp only, the waste they produce is miniscule. Your amount of beneficial bacteria would only grow enough to process the shrimp's waste. You wouldn't have much wiggle room, for example, you've got a shrimp that died and rotted. You would have a nasty ammonia spike which could nuke the whole tank because the amount of your BB wouldn't be able to process that dead shrimp. If you've got snails in there, they are like poop machines and will keep your BB rolling and keep things moving and you wouldn't have to worry too much about spikes.

Sorry I wrote a book.

6. OP
    OP
    Danimal6

Thanks for the responses everyone, I think I've got it. Shrimp can produce enough waste to keep a cycle going, but only enough bb to maintain the cycle, no buffering room for error. That's where the snails come in to boost the amount of bb without adding something into the tank which can prey on the shrimp. Sound right?

7. BillynJennifer

You've got it

8. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

As your colony grows, depending on how you feed, having food breaking down in the tank will also create ammonia that will feed the bb

9. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I recommend adding a lot of plants, my Java Moss and subwassertang recently started growing in and dropped my nitrates from 15 to 0 in two weeks. It's also very helpful, because I've had some serious die offs from something I still haven't solved, and the plants prevented all ammonia spikes. I do have two nerites with them, and two baby rabbits, but judging by the 0 nitrates, they're not doing much. And just as a warning, mystery snails will go after sick or severely injured shrimp, just had to move mine but he's a lot happier in the 60.

10. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

The bacteria population will stabilize to the right amount to process whatever ammonia is in the tank. However, shrimp will eat their dead tank mates, and one dead shrimp isn't going to drive your ammonia up. In my shrimp tank I don't really care if I have a cycle, because the plants take care of the tiny amount of ammonia in there, and I know ammonia spikes aren't a problem with a single dead shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice