Shrimp/crayfish/snail Disease Template

richiep

We have been given permission to make a template to aid in a quick response to members invert problems, I will be in touch with Coradee during the transition period to add and take away information as needed, final say so will be with Mike on the final outcome, but we need your help, any suggestions as to the format/information needed regarding inverts is down to us all to get this to work. not everything will be added there is a limit to what we ask people to do, so we need to keep things to an IMPORTANT question only,
i'll start this off with as much as I can but I will miss something so please add what you may think is needed as things can be edited as we go. this post will be left active for a week or so , so please tag people here for their input before it becomes a sticky, even after that something can be added if needed

everything iv'e written above will be deleted later so the template is made simpler

This template is designed for you go give as much and very important information to get quick results,
Are we dealing with Shrimp/crayfish/snails/other please state
Water Parameters please give as many readings as possible!
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitraits
GH
KH
PH
Copper
TDS
Have you noticed any changes in your source water? Any recent work on the lines coming into your home?= work in with something
Filteration
Substrait ?= tie in with something
Temperature
Tank size
How long as the tank been running
Water changes how much and how often are these done

has there been any recent alterations to your house/apt such as painting, spraying with insecticides etc.
- have you re-scaped or had hands in your tank recent
- any new plants or decorations last few weeks

what other fish are in the tank with the inverts
do you have any past experience with inverts”

Please list any Chemicals being added to your tank this includes fertilizers, de-chlorinators, medications

When were the inverts added to the tank if it was within the last month did you!
Drip acclimate them
Put straight in
what are you feeding Dry food, vegetables, frozen foods. Are they blanching the veggies.?==reword break down
Please give as much information as you can about the problem and attach close up photos where possible

Think of a possibility of having a pictorial disease guide in this section????????== more work from david1978

Mike

richie.p great idea and thanks for doing this!

tjander

I would add age of tank since cycled.

Also is plot and drop not the same as put straight in?

How long the aquatic life has been in the tank?

richiep

I would add age of tank since cycled.

Also is plot and drop not the same as put straight in?

How long the aquatic life has been in the tank?
Maybe will alter that

richiep

if anyone can input anything on out new sticky (above) that we are trying to get underway it would be a great help, thanks in advance, sorry if iv'e missed anyone out
FishRFriendz Feohw Jack B Nimble Demeter angelcraze mattgirl Fahn LordGrI'm MissNoodle KatLovesCoffee 86 ssinit jmaldo Brannor DoubleDutch WTFish? Wrasseopora RoosteronI midna Elkwatcher BittenByTheBug Tsin21 TheDarkAbyss Bithimala Lchi87 bubble1807 Rich72 itsEmma kallililly1973 scarface Jellibeen CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

if anyone can input anything on out new sticky (above) that we are trying to get underway it would be a great help, thanks in advance, sorry if iv'e missed anyone out
FishRFriendz Feohw Jack B Nimble Demeter angelcraze mattgirl Fahn LordGrI'm MissNoodle KatLovesCoffee 86 ssinit jmaldo Brannor DoubleDutch WTFish? Wrasseopora RoosteronI midna Elkwatcher BittenByTheBug Tsin21 TheDarkAbyss Bithimala Lchi87 bubble1807 Rich72 itsEmma kallililly1973 scarface Jellibeen

How dare you leave me out!?!? Lol, just kidding I am not well know for inverts. I think that you have got it pretty well down, maybe you could add “do you have any past experience with inverts”

Jack B Nimble

May consider ideas below or a version of them:

- has there been any recent alterations to your house/apt such as painting, spraying with insecticides etc.
- have you re-scaped or had hands in your tank recently

richiep

infact CaptainAquatics you are in as I posted this last one lot last nigh with you in it but somehow the post went missing so I did another and now we have two somehow, I told coradee I would bothh this up somehow lol lol

CaptainAquatics

infact CaptainAquatics you are in as I posted this last one lot last nigh with you in it but somehow the post went missing so I did another and now we have two somehow, I told coradee I would bothh this up somehow lol lol

Lol, alright well that is really the only advise I would say is just, do you hav rainy past experience with inverts and if so how long?

richiep

May consider ideas below or a version of them:

- has there been any recent alterations to your house/apt such as painting, spraying with insecticides etc.
- have you re-scaped or had hands in your tank recently
valid points ill add them to the post above then work around the whole thing before it goes live as to speak

86 ssinit

Again great idea Richie! Only I can think of adding would be what are you feeding them. Dry food, vegetables, frozen foods. Are they blanching the veggies.

mattgirl

This really is a great idea. I can't think of any thing that hasn't already been added but will be thinking about it.

jmaldo

Possible additions.
Type of substrate
Type of filtration

mattgirl

Maybe add: Have you noticed any changes in your source water? Any recent work on the lines coming into your home?

I only mention this because of the times folks have come here with fish deaths after a water change and we find their water company has cleaned or worked on the lines recently.

richiep

Possible additions.
Type of substrate
Type of filtration
ill add them filtration is good, substrait we may tie in with something else

david1978

Parameters of source water. The tank and source water could be so different. Shock? Thing.
Copper test?
The green fungus parasite has been cropping up more lately.

richiep

Ell
Maybe add: Have you noticed any changes in your source water? Any recent work on the lines coming into your home?

I only mention this because of the times folks have come here with fish deaths after a water change and we find their water company has cleaned or worked on the lines recently.
Again ill try and work this in with something like water perameters

richiep

Parameters of source water. The tank and source water could be so different. Shock? Thing.
Copper test?
The green fungus parasite has been cropping up more lately.
copper test I'll add but I bet 90% don't even own one but it will jog the memory to ask
Ellobiopsidae should emerge from photos/description given by op so we can diagnose the problem on saying that it may be possible to have an attachment with diseases for everyone to look at, which is a thought once we got this running.

david1978

copper test I'll add but I bet 90% don't even own one but it will jog the memory to ask
Ellobiopsidae should emerge from photos/description given by op so we can diagnose the problem on saying that it may be possible to have an attachment with diseases for everyone to look at, which is a thought once we got this running.
I was just throwing things out there.

richiep

I was just throwing things out there.
That's That's something worth doing Dave

itsEmma

HI Richie!
What a brilliant brilliant idea for a more specific template for inverts.
The only thing I can think to add that often comes up as a question, along with 'what do you feed ', as 86 ssinit suggested, is 'how often/how much do you feed?'
I know that you've flagged underfeeding before when someone has asked why their shrimps never get berried. And recording excessive feeding info would help identify all sorts of issues!
Hope this helps!
Emma

richiep

HI Richie!
What a brilliant brilliant idea for a more specific template for inverts.
The only thing I can think to add that often comes up as a question, along with 'what do you feed ', as 86 ssinit suggested, is 'how often/how much do you feed?'
I know that you've flagged underfeeding before when someone has asked why their shrimps never get berried. And recording excessive feeding info would help identify all sorts of issues!
Hope this helps!
Emma
HI Emma how you doing, I've got food listed it's just a matter how we put it all together. I'm adding everything to the main template then when it slows down or in s week it's a case of pulling it apart and put as much as possible in without making it a daunting task for others to fill in

david1978

HI Emma how you doing, I've got food listed it's just a matter how we put it all together. I'm adding everything to the main template then when it slows down or in s week it's a case of pulling it apart and put as much as possible in without making it a daunting task for others to fill in
Its a great idea but like the fish one I'm afraid it will be not used after a month. Hope not.

richiep

I hope not Dave as what's put in there are just questions in keeping shrimp and other crustations alive, water parameters are a must to build a picture as to what's going on, if they can't give these must have answers we can't save their stock, and it's no different to 10 people asking all these questions over a period of days it's done in one go, it will also stop some of those unnecessary questions, plus I find I ask a question and directly below the same question is asked again (why) lots of the time people don't read what's above just op problem then they answer so hopefully this will ease s lot of this, enough of me gassing off we can only try we have a good and knowledgeable group of shrimpers/inverters who can make this work

tjander

Wondering if a fact sheet should not be produced. By that I mean list all the common things people are doing, example: improper acclimation, too new of tank, predator fish... it just seems that we all spend a lot of time saying the same thing over and over. A sticky that we could reference people too could save time in responding.

Just a thought

jmaldo

As mentioned need specific info along with being "User" friendly. Otherwise they will just click away.
IMHO.

itsEmma

HI Richie,
Yes, I totally agree!
I'm happy to put my 'School Teacher' hat on and help with any organisation, wording grammar etc
What about subheadings and bullet points, for example?
FOOD
*what do you feed?
*how much/often?
Would that help to make it not end up looking too daunting and like some sort of Tax Return Form (which is what you're obviously trying to avoid!!)
Emma

richiep

HI Richie,
Yes, I totally agree!
I'm happy to put my 'School Teacher' hat on and help with any organisation, wording grammar etc
What about subheadings and bullet points, for example?
FOOD
*what do you feed?
*how much/often?
Would that help to make it not end up looking too daunting and like some sort of Tax Return Form (which is what you're obviously trying to avoid!!)
Emma
Thanks Emma and tbh your help on this side of things will be much appreciated, as you can see we have a lot of suggestions already so things may have to be merged or even left out, you can see I've just dumped everything in at the moment not to to miss things but I'm sure even that can be condensed
we are not going to cover everything its impossible but we can give ourselves a good head start,
As a Header I'm open to suggestions nothing's set in stone yet, please take your time no rush even if it takes a few weeks so have a play. Copy and paste to another program if you wish

WTFish?

We have been given permission to make a template to aid in a quick response to members invert problems, I will be in touch with Coradee during the transition period to add and take away information as needed, final say so will be with Mike on the final outcome, but we need your help, any suggestions as to the format/information needed regarding inverts is down to us all to get this to work. not everything will be added there is a limit to what we ask people to do, so we need to keep things to an IMPORTANT question only,
i'll start this off with as much as I can but I will miss something so please add what you may think is needed as things can be edited as we go. this post will be left active for a week or so , so please tag people here for their input before it becomes a sticky, even after that something can be added if needed

everything iv'e written above will be deleted later so the template is made simpler

This template is designed for you go give as much and very important information to get quick results,
Are we dealing with Shrimp/crayfish/snails/other please state
Water Parameters please give as many readings as possible!
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitraits
GH
KH
PH
Copper
TDS
Have you noticed any changes in your source water? Any recent work on the lines coming into your home?= work in with something
Filteration
Substrait ?= tie in with something
Temperature
Tank size
How long as the tank been running
Water changes how much and how often are these done

has there been any recent alterations to your house/apt such as painting, spraying with insecticides etc.
- have you re-scaped or had hands in your tank recent

what other fish are in the tank with the inverts
do you have any past experience with inverts”

Please list any Chemicals being added to your tank this includes fertilizers, de-chlorinators, medications

When were the inverts added to the tank if it was within the last month did you!
Drip acclimate them
Put straight in
what are you feeding Dry food, vegetables, frozen foods. Are they blanching the veggies.?==reword break down
Please give as much information as you can about the problem and attach close up photos where possible

Think of a possibility of having a pictorial disease guide in this section????????== more work from david1978
Thanks for the tag. I apologize that I haven’t been on here much, but I lurk sometimes. I feel like you’ve got all the questions down. Should be a very helpful template. Good idea

richiep

HI all,many thanks to everyone who as contributed to Fishlore's new invert template, it's always difficult to get something like this going without getting bogged down with to much information itsEmma put the final touches together so a big thank you there. If we find something needs to be added we will do but for now let's start here and try to educate those with problems to use the template.
Invertebrate Problem Template | Freshwater Invertebrate Disease 444162
Once again my thanks to you all richie.p

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ouse
  • Question
Replies