Shrimp Compatability

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Marinedude17422, Jul 6, 2015.

1. M

Marinedude17422 New Member Member

Hey all, I have a 29 gallon semi-planted tank and a bunch of
    cholla wood ready to go in. I was wondering, what kinds of shrimp, if any, would work? The only fish I would be worried about eating the
    shrimp are my two 2-inch gold gouramis and maybe my Congo tetras. I know gouramis are known shrimp eaters, but with the cholla wood would they be able to survive?

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

It's a 50/50.

The only shrimp safe fish are Otocinculus.

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

My gourami leaves my ghost shrimp alone, but I got my shrimp when they were already pretty big. Ghost shrimp are an okay bet, since they are generally less than $.50, so it's not a big loss if they get eaten...but if you go for RCS, they're like $4 each typically.

4. TSzabo

TSzabo Valued Member Member

You could also look at some amano shrimp. They are a larger breed and should be able to stand their ground or escape if need be.

5. Aloeb1

Aloeb1 Valued Member Member

I would definitely go with a bigger type of shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    M

Marinedude17422 New Member Member

What types of larger shrimp could I look at? Amano, Singapore Flower, those kinds?

7. TSzabo

Youd have to look at their individual requirements. I am only familiar with the amanos. But those are work horses for keeping the tank tidy.

8. Ovenmitts

Ovenmitts Valued Member Member

I have two gouramis and have ghost and bamboo shrimp. No problems.

9. TSzabo

My DG also leaves my shrimp alone. I would probably be more worried about the congo tetras, but ive never had congos before.

10. felix

felix Valued Member Member

I have no problem with my amanoshrimp and my fish.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

You didn't ask, but I have had Congo tetras, 8 in a 55 gallon tank. Don't know how many you have but a 29 gallon tank is small for them. They get 4-5 inches and love to swim back and forth all over the tank. And they are a schooling fish I remember. Anyway, my 8 eventually took over the whole tank, didn't bother anyone physically but bumped into the other fish and had the pearl h
    Gourami hiding. So I took them back to the store after 8 months and beautiful as they are, I like my tank much better now. And I can't imagine they wouldn't scare the shrimp into hiding.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

On that note don't gold gourami get too large for a 29 as well? Like 6-8" or so? I have the same tank and was looking at dwarf gourami because of space.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, both congo tetras and gold gouramis are too big for a 29.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice