Shrimp Compatability

Marinedude17422

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 29 gallon semi-planted tank and a bunch of
cholla wood ready to go in. I was wondering, what kinds of shrimp, if any, would work? The only fish I would be worried about eating the
shrimp are my two 2-inch gold gouramis and maybe my Congo tetras. I know gouramis are known shrimp eaters, but with the cholla wood would they be able to survive?

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a 50/50.

The only shrimp safe fish are Otocinculus.

ClearEyes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My gouramI leaves my ghost shrimp alone, but I got my shrimp when they were already pretty big. Ghost shrimp are an okay bet, since they are generally less than $.50, so it's not a big loss if they get eaten...but if you go for RCS, they're like $4 each typically.

TSzabo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could also look at some amano shrimp. They are a larger breed and should be able to stand their ground or escape if need be.

Aloeb1

Reaction score
I would definitely go with a bigger type of shrimp

OP
M

Marinedude17422

Reaction score
What types of larger shrimp could I look at? Amano, Singapore Flower, those kinds?

TSzabo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Youd have to look at their individual requirements. I am only familiar with the amanos. But those are work horses for keeping the tank tidy.

TSzabo

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My DG also leaves my shrimp alone. I would probably be more worried about the congo tetras, but ive never had congos before.

felix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have no problem with my amanoshrimp and my fish.

Maxi1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You didn't ask, but I have had Congo tetras, 8 in a 55 gallon tank. Don't know how many you have but a 29 gallon tank is small for them. They get 4-5 inches and love to swim back and forth all over the tank. And they are a schooling fish I remember. Anyway, my 8 eventually took over the whole tank, didn't bother anyone physically but bumped into the other fish and had the pearl h
GouramI hiding. So I took them back to the store after 8 months and beautiful as they are, I like my tank much better now. And I can't imagine they wouldn't scare the shrimp into hiding.

Kwig

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maxi1 said:
You didn't ask, but I have had Congo tetras, 8 in a 55 gallon tank. Don't know how many you have but a 29 gallon tank is small for them. They get 4-5 inches and love to swim back and forth all over the tank. And they are a schooling fish I remember. Anyway, my 8 eventually took over the whole tank, didn't bother anyone physically but bumped into the other fish and had the pearl h
GouramI hiding. So I took them back to the store after 8 months and beautiful as they are, I like my tank much better now. And I can't imagine they wouldn't scare the shrimp into hiding.
On that note don't gold gouramI get too large for a 29 as well? Like 6-8" or so? I have the same tank and was looking at dwarf gouramI because of space.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kwig said:
On that note don't gold gouramI get too large for a 29 as well? Like 6-8" or so? I have the same tank and was looking at dwarf gouramI because of space.
Yes, both congo tetras and gold gouramis are too big for a 29.

New Threads