Shrimp colour change

Nefersmum

I'd lost contact with my 3 new amano shrimp for several days but finally caught sight of one this morning. He seems to be going darker in colour. Is this normal?

I put some blanched cucumber in a day or two ago but it doesn't seem to have gone down well and they don't seem to have eaten any of it.

Crimson_687

how long have you had them? shrimp can darken slightly in color, according to their environment.

Nefersmum

I've had them for about 3 weeks. I had said elsewhere that I found it nigh on impossible to find them in the tank but I caught sight of one this morning and where he had looked translucent he now looks less see through and more silvery.

Crimson_687

Nefersmum said:
I've had them for about 3 weeks. I had said elsewhere that I found it nigh on impossible to find them in the tank but I caught sight of one this morning and where he had looked translucent he now looks less see through and more silvery.
After a shed there appearance can become slightly cloudy as the new shell hardens, they’ll usually be hiding at the time. It may also appear shiny before a shed.

Nefersmum

That might explain why they're being so elusive. I knew they tended to hide when shedding but it didn't occur that they might do it so soon. He did look a smidgen bigger I think.

Crimson_687

Nefersmum said:
That might explain why they're being so elusive. I knew they tended to hide when shedding but it didn't occur that they might do it so soon. He did look a smidgen bigger I think.
Sometimes moving to a new environment or doing a wc can promote them to shed. Remember to keep oxygen/circulation and mineral content high so they stay healthy

Latest threads

Top Bottom