Shrimp breeding setup - need advice

MsMarvel

So I recently purchased some blue dream shrimp from someone in my area. I was expecting adults, but was instead sold 11 juveniles with 1 adult and the grade seems low. They were going to be added to my 40 gallon community tank, but most at this point are too small for me to feel comfortable adding. I currently have them in a quarantine setup with a safe plastic container with 2 gallon capacity and a cycled sponge filter. I check water conditions every day and water change whenever ammonia/nitrite levels go even slightly above 0.

I am very fond of my shrimp, but would like to see their grade improve and am wondering about getting a setup going for breeding in a 5 or 10 gallon and then putting culls in my 40g to live happily without affecting the breeding pool while I work on improving their grade in the shrimp tank.

EDIT: I am going to instead stay with my initial plan of bringing them into my community tank. I am too busy to run a second tank right now and I think investigating this and posting on the forum has helped me figure out what I want to do. They will have plenty of hiding places and their tank mates will be ember tetras and other shrimp so they will do just fine in that tank. Sorry for posting and then coming to a conclusion on my own question, but this did help me in the process.

Gennasharples

So I recently purchased some blue dream shrimp from someone in my area. I was expecting adults, but was instead sold 11 juveniles with 1 adult and the grade seems low. They were going to be added to my 40 gallon community tank, but most at this point are too small for me to feel comfortable adding. I currently have them in a quarantine setup with a safe plastic container with 2 gallon capacity and a cycled sponge filter. I check water conditions every day and water change whenever ammonia/nitrite levels go even slightly above 0.

I am very fond of my shrimp, but would like to see their grade improve and am wondering about getting a setup going for breeding in a 5 or 10 gallon and then putting culls in my 40g to live happily without affecting the breeding pool while I work on improving their grade in the shrimp tank.

EDIT: I am going to instead stay with my initial plan of bringing them into my community tank. I am too busy to run a second tank right now and I think investigating this and posting on the forum has helped me figure out what I want to do. They will have plenty of hiding places and their tank mates will be ember tetras and other shrimp so they will do just fine in that tank. Sorry for posting and then coming to a conclusion on my own question, but this did help me in the process.
Just saying, a 10 gallon shrimp tank takes pretty much no effort to run. It can easily be pretty self sustaining. Drop some food in every day or use a strong light and let algae grow.
I’ve had my shrimp in their tank for a month now. Started with 10 and I now have at lease 50.
And they are housed with a male betta and 6 cherry shrimp.
in the month I’ve had them I haven’t needed to do a water change. I did one last week anyway when I removed some of the shrimp to put them on egg cleaning duty (bristlenose in my main tank abandoned his eggs).
But yeah, shrimp on a planted tank you don’t need to do anything really. They have a very small bio load and the beneficial bacteria multiplies as the shrimp multiply. Just test weekly to check everything is good.
To be fair, with enough plants any tank can be pretty much a self sustaining. I mean my main tank which is a very heavily stocked 55 gallon I only do a 10-20% water change monthly and there are just over 100 fish in that tank including 22 large Cory’s, 6 adult angelfish, and 5 adult Kribensis. The water is always perfect, the Cory’s spawn daily. The angels spawn weekly. The guppies are always breeding. The bristlenose currently have over 120 babies. There are 40ish baby Kribensis.
If that tank can be like that a shrimp tank can easily be an ecosystem tank that you never have to do anything with except maybe rinse out the filter once a month.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishyfishyfishman
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
tjander
  • Question