Shrimp Bragging

Animus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm curious about amano shrimp myself but if they are doing such a great job of cleaning the tank how do you maintain the shrimp when they are done? I would love to have some custodians in my larger tanks but it seems like Pleco solve the problem but then you have to feed wafers which just jump start the problem all over again. It feels like a vicious cycle.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Animus said:
you have to feed wafers which just jump start the problem all over again. It feels like a vicious cycle.
Not really. Not from my experience. I haven’t had algae on glass since adding in my Clown pleco last year. Do I feed her? Sure, but it doesn’t mean the problem just restarts. Things have stayed consistent.

The same can be said with the Amanos.

Animus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
scarface said:
Not really. Not from my experience. I haven’t had algae on glass since adding in my Clown pleco last year. Do I feed her? Sure, but it doesn’t mean the problem just restarts. Things have stayed consistent.

The same can be said with the Amanos.
If you feed them do you remove the wafers after a period of time to prevent excess or do you feed them something else instead?

Animus said:
If you feed them do you remove the wafers after a period of time to prevent excess or do you feed them something else instead?
That was more a question about the place than the shrimp, I recently rescued a pleco that was in a small tank so dirty you couldn't see the fish in four inches of water. So while I feel good about saving the fish from an irresponsible owner, I don't have a lot of experience with them myself and need to learn fairly quickly.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Animus said:

That was more a question about the place than the shrimp, I recently rescued a pleco that was in a small tank so dirty you couldn't see the fish in four inches of water. So while I feel good about saving the fish from an irresponsible owner, I don't have a lot of experience with them myself and need to learn fairly quickly.
You feed small pieces of wafer that they can finish or you do remove it after a while. High quality, shrimp specific foods last hours in water without breaking down and might not have to be removed if they finish it within a few hours.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom