Shrimp Bioload

SteveR

Afternoon guys,
As the bioload from shrimps is very nominal is it worth cycling my 27lt nano tank or would it just be ok to put some biogravel from my established 260lt tank in my 27 lts filter.. as all i will be keeping is shrimp (neocaridina).and then introduce new shrimp.?

Thanks in advance..

Katie993

I would still let it run for a bit before you introduce them. Shrimp don't really need a cycled aquarium as much as they need a constant algae source and biofilm so, if you leave your lights on a bit longer than normal and start seeing algae, you should be fine.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
It not so much the bioload of shrimp but stability and getting biofilm on all surfaces which you dont have.
I have gone down this road a few times so i'll tell you what works for me,
Taking media from one filter and putting it in the new filter is a must to kick start things (biohome/biogravel & sponge) think about your substrate as well at this point, i would then when doing your water change on your 260ltr tank and fill your 27ltr at this point you have a cycled tank to a point, put whatever you can from your 260lt that will have biofilm on(plants/ornaments)and put that in the 27ltr this will give your shrimp a head start, once you've got this running put a couple of fish in the 27ltr just for a week this helps to stabilise everything and allows biofilm to connect with all surfaces this is ready food for the shrimp, after a week do a 10%water change take your fish out and add your shrimp by acclimation.
Some say to do the same with the filter but use fresh water, dont do that use the tank water so you have like for like, i also add an airstone to all my tanks, I have found when adding shrimp with this method dose seem to set them back in breedinf for a few weeks and I still don't know why but this works.
A cycled and stable tank is a must or you will loose shrimp

OP
S

SteveR

Katie993 said:
I would still let it run for a bit before you introduce them. Shrimp don't really need a cycled aquarium as much as they need a constant algae source and biofilm so, if you leave your lights on a bit longer than normal and start seeing algae, you should be fine.
Wont the good bacteria I transfer from my 260 lt need an ammonia source to survive if I am not putting shrimp straight in?

Pfrozen

Well Known
I agree with richiep on this one, I ran a fish-in cycle with shrimp and it was very difficult. It was a beginner's mistake that you should probably avoid

Katie993

SteveR said:
Wont the good bacteria I transfer from my 260 lt need an ammonia source to survive if I am not putting shrimp straight in?
Yes. You'll have to add some ammonia source. You could move one small fish from another aquarium to keep it going until you add the shrimp or just feed the tank.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
SteveR said:
This is why you are putting a couple of fish in for a week to keep things stable

Katie993

I have had no problems doing a fish-in cycle with shrimp. Maybe I was just lucky but, it was way easier for me than a fish-in cycle with fish

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Katie993 said:
I have had no problems doing a fish-in cycle with shrimp. Maybe I was just lucky but, it was way easier for me than a fish-in cycle with fish
Hi Kate shrimp still need a cycled aquarium or they will die your first post says they don't need a cycled aquarium

Katie993

richiep said:
Hi Kate shrimp still need a cycled aquarium or they will die your first post says they don't need a cycled aquarium
Actually, no it doesn't. It says that an established source of algae and biofilm is more important than a cycled aquarium. Also, they will not die because the aquarium is not cycled. It depends on how much work you're willing to put in until the aquarium is cycled. It is fully possible to cycle a tank with shrimp as long as shrimp is all you're putting in the tank. Shrimp do not have a big enough bioload to cycle an aquarium for fish unless you are packing the tank completely full of shrimp maybe but, space would probably become more of an issue before you could ever get enough in a tank to cycle it for fish.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Sorry but read what you have written which i have pasted from your post.
First line,
Shrimp don't really need a cycled aquarium as much as they need a constant algae source and biofilm so

Katie993

richiep said:
Sorry but read what you have written which i have pasted from your post.
First line,
Shrimp don't really need a cycled aquarium as much as they need a constant algae source and biofilm so
That is still not saying a cycled aquarium is not important. I'm not going to argue with you about it. I've told him about my experience and, really what it comes down to is, he can do as he wants. Thanks.

New Threads