Shrimp Bio-load?

Savanna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So presently I have 2 Ghost shrimp in my planted freshwater community tank. I'd like to up that number or get more of another type of shrimp, like some blue velvets, amanos or yellow shrimp.
My question is, at present my 20 gallon tank is nearly fully stocked, and I was wondering what kind of bio-load shrimp have in numbers compared to fish, so as not to overstock my tank.
I have a separate fry and shrimp tank as well in case anyone needs moved around.
So if my tank were say, 80% stocked in the 20 gallon (just throwing out a random, basic number,) how many shrimp could I safely add without overwhelming the system? I have some anubias, Java Moss and baby tears in this tank.
Any help would be much appreciated!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe shrimp can have a negative impact on bioload, although it is likely negligible. If I have 10 fish by themselves, and I feed them the same amount every time. The amount of food fed doesn't change when adding shrimp later on. As long as you don't target feed, they can be viewed as having no impact towards bioload or possibly even having a negative one. They're that good at being scavengers. Yes, you can probably add quite a bit more, but ultimately, it's up to you to decide how much to add.

Savanna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you for your input. I thought shrimp would be a good way to add some interest and color to the bottom without adding more fishes, except a couple of corydoras. I could certainly use the benefit of a few more scavengers. There's a lot of hiding places and some various plants for them to pick at and duck for cover if any of my fish are feeling surly lol. How about snails though? I have a couple of nerites in another tank, but I've heard some snails produce more waste than they actually eliminate from the tank. What snails would be good with my shrimps, and which should I avoid? I saw some black racer snails and some mystery snails at the store and they were neat but I've heard mixed things about mystery snails.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nerites should be fine with shrimp. Many here will disagree with me, but if there is one snail to avoid then it would be the assassin. I noticed a decrease in shrimp since adding one in. No bodies found either. It could just be coincidence, but I read about it happening to other people, although it seems to be a rare case.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would completely disregard the bioload of shrimp. Their food has more bioload than they do. Be careful with the ghosts, they can have carnivorous tendencies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom