Shrimp Bio Load Question

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Sarah1230ox, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230oxValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +53
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hey everyone me again
    So for those who saw i have a new fish tank with a betta fish. Its been running for 5 weeks, and he was put in last Friday everything is great, we used old media from the pond filter and ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 5/10... Its a 26 litre tank so have been told i probably shouldn't try to add any fish in there...what about shrimp? Do they create much waste? My local fish stockist has some pretty colours in atm, would about 4/5 shrimp make much of an affect on the cycle? Thanks IMG_20190724_194737.

2. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    A few cherry shrimp won't really impact the bioload but they *might* be eaten by the betta. You'll have to try and see.

You'll probably want to stick with one color of dwarf shrimp. This will preserve the colors they were bred for if they breed. Otherwise, offspring will eventually revert to their natural brown color.

3. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +258
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Agreed. It really depends on the betta. I have a King betta that just curiously looks at the shrimp. I tried to put some in with my other guys and they went straight for them.

4. Nobote

NoboteValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +169
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Shrimp dont incur much bioload. I assume youre talking about Neocaridina...they are fairly easy to keep but like stable conditions. Swings in pH, general chemistry and temperature kill shrimp more than stable persistent comditions that might be outside normal parameters,

5. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,268
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The big thing is he may eat them. I gave a coworker about 20 shrimp one night for his betta tank. The betta ate all of them as fast as it could catch them :(.

6. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Poor shrimp. :(

7. Nobote

NoboteValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +169
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thats a good point. Betta will sometimes destroy shrimp.

8. Grimfeather

GrimfeatherNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    Just started
    What about going for a larger species of shrimp like the Amanos. Even when small, they are already over twice the size of RCS. Maybe the bigger size might make it difficult for the Betta to eat it, or would you just be giving the Betta a larger meal?

9. Wolf010

Wolf010Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +107
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ghost shrimp, in my experience, mostly get ignored by Betta. For the first two day, they will flare at the shrimps,but the shrimps just ignores them. after that, the Betta just kind of give up and ignore them unless they try to steal his food. Then he flares at them to try to scare them unsuccessfully. :p.

10. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +381
    Experience:
    5 years
    @Sarah1230ox
    You should hold off on shrimp for the time being, shrimp need biofilm to develop in the tank.
    That is what they use for food and need stable water parameters.

11. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +312
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Amano’s will fair the best. They also are IMO way more tolerant to water parameters, and can be Introduced as soon as your tank is cycled.
    That said... I simply can not endorse shrimp and fish in any tank. But I understand the allure of shrimp and fish. I did the same thing and lost 25 USD in RCS to guppies and Neons. I now keep Amano’s with Guppy’s and Neons no issues.

12. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimpValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +156
    The shrimp alone will only produce waste equivalent to what you feed, like with all fish and inverts. Shrimp also manage their population based on how much food is available. Find an amount you want to feed while keeping the water stable, then they will adjust to that. For context though, I’ve keep 200+ shrimp in a 10 gallon with 0/0/0 for a year and a half. No water changes either but I put effort into maintaining anaerobic bacteria.