Shrimp attacked guppy... Will it die? Please help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by HelloUnderwaterWorld, Jun 12, 2016.

1. HelloUnderwaterWorld

HelloUnderwaterWorldValued MemberMember

Earlier today my guppy seemed lethargic. I think it must have been sick. I witnessed my ghost shrimp attack it's tail and went to get my water tested, after quarantining the ghost shrimp. When I got home, I found my Red Cherry Shrimp eating my poor Guppy's tail. It couldn't swim away. I moved it to another tank and now I am hoping it won't die. Do you think it will survive? If so, are there any treatments? It's whole tail has been eaten. I don't know how to upload a photo.

2. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Oh dear. The only thing I can think of is keep the water as clean as you can with frequent water changes . If it is indeed a ghost shrimp and not a whisker shrimp than the guppy be very ill. A ghost shrimp would not be able to attack a healthy guppy. A whisker shrimp is often mistaken for and sold as a ghost shrimp. There front arms are about twice as long as a ghost shrimp and they are very aggressive and will attack fish. . Good luck and keep us posted. Alison

3. OP
    OP
    HelloUnderwaterWorld

HelloUnderwaterWorldValued MemberMember

I'm sorry to say that Pablo the guppy passed away. We had a funeral. Thanks for your advice.

4. axelWell Known MemberMember

could u take a picture of your shrimp?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice