Shrimp Are Hiding?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Sakana魚, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Sakana魚

Sakana魚 Well Known Member Member

I had a betta with them who was attacking them so I removed him but the shrimp are still hiding. Will they ever come back out? Do I not have enough cover to make them feel safe?

Thanks!

2. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Beautiful tank!
    What kind of shrimp are they?
    When did you remove the Betta?

In general, they should venture out more once they realize they are safe and the Betta is not there to bother them.

3. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

They might also need to build their colony up a bit until they feel safe venturing out. I can normally tell when a berried female has released her shrimplets. It seems like the smaller shrimp get the better hiding spots and push the larger ones out into the open. Every week or two I'll see a new wave of smaller shrimp out in the open.

4. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

Thanks! They were supposed to be blue velvets but I came home with Red Crystal shrimp S grade instead, oops. I absolutely love them, they are so pretty. I only purchased two since they are new to me.

I removed the betta last night. They have only been in there since sunday. But they were out and about exploring until he started chasing them.

Hmmm I only purchased two, how many would I meed to make them feel safe?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  5. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I'd wait two or three weeks for them to settle in, they should be fine with two. Amazing tank btw!

6. Kyleena696

I've started both of my colonies with between 6-12 shrimp, but I was also trying to get a good colony going. I put 5 shrimp in my betta tank from my 29 and I never see them unless I'm looking for them. He doesn't ever chase them (that I see anyway) but they obviously don't feel safe with only five in there.
    Edit:: During a water change yesterday I noticed shrimplets, so obviously things are going okay even though I don't see them.

You could try getting 4-6 more for them. You could add a few more plants in the back, but I agree with everyone else, your tank is beautiful so I wouldn't add anything. @Rtessy and @JoeCamaro may be right and they could just need more time to settle in and realize your betta is no longer there to terrorize them.

7. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

Thanks! I planned on getting more just not right away.

Thank you! I plan on adding a few more plants actually. I am going for a heavily planted tank. I will probably grab a few more this weekend.(and grab a fewore shrimp while I am at it)

8. Kyleena696

Are you going to put some sort of plant on the tree? You'd probably see shrimp hanging out in there all the time, it would be adorable :D

9. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

Yes! I plan on putting some java moss on it. I would love to see shrimp hanging out in it, I think I will set that up this weekend!

10. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

Well I couldn't sleep so I went downstairs and turned the tank lights on so I could view my tank and I am pretty sure if shrimp could have heart attacks that I just gave them one. The wildly flew around the tank and back to the hornwort, oops... Snapped a quick pic and turned the lights back off. Happy to see them come out from hiding tho. Hoping its a good sign...

But they seem kinda pale. When I put them in they were a bright deep red color. Do shrimp pale when they are stressed like fish do?
    IMG_20180417_225840.jpg

11. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, they will pale when they get stressed. Mine did that before I realized my heater broke and the temperature went above what they like it at. After I fixed it, most colored up in a few days, but one did take closer to three weeks.

12. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

Do you think they are scared of my HR?

13. Kyleena696

I don't think so. I keep mine with harlequins and they're out and about. They do prefer to stay in the plants. Maybe add a small slice of blanched cucumber? They might come onto that to feed and you can observe them better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice