Shrimp and wave pumps

Koenig44

I'm going to be getting some shrimp for my tank soon.

I have a Koralia currently in my tank. Do I need to worry about shrimp climbing into the head of the pump and turning into shrimp soup? If so, I'll get an air stone. Don't really want to, but shrimp are a high priority of mine.

Or am I good / no worries?

Asomeone

Well Known
Yes. It will definitely depend on the power of the pump but it is absolutely a concern. For freshwater why would you honestly need a powerhead? If you're returns are pushing enough water I wouldn't worry about it. Kinda depends on if you want to breed as well. It will definitely not do great with shrimp youngins but the adults may avoid. On my shrimp tanks (10-20gal) the recirculation from the hob filters is enough. They really don't need too much.

OP
Koenig44

Koenig44

Well, I went with the power head route vs the air stone route when I set up. Didn't want a long cord in my tank. I also think a power head looks more normal in an aquarium vs. an air stone.

But, sounds like this is what I'm going to have to do. I guess, I'll be getting the usb air stone from Aquarium Co-op, as I won't need anything powerful.

Asomeone

Well Known
Koenig44 said:
Well, I went with the power head route vs the air stone route when I set up. Didn't want a long cord in my tank. I also think a power head looks more normal in an aquarium vs. an air stone.

But, sounds like this is what I'm going to have to do. I guess, I'll be getting the usb air stone from Aquarium Co-op, as I won't need anything powerful.
You could use a powerhead you'd just have to use one that you can very properly cover the inlets. For my filters I use a mesh inlet screen. It obviously wont fit on a wavemaker but works for some powerhead designs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078YPZWQ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New Threads