Shrimp And Snail Control

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Aquarium Josh, Apr 18, 2017.

1. A

Aquarium Josh Valued Member Member

Is there any peacful fish that will control shrimp and snails?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You shouldn't get fish to control snails or shrimp. A better method would be to remove the shrimp (you can sell them for money) and kill or remove the snails. What snails and shrimp do you have a problem with?

3. OP
    OP
    A

None I'm just trying to get ideas

4. col7on

col7on Valued Member Member

How big is the tank loaches love both as long as you can support a school of them in your tank

5. OP
    OP
    A

Loaches are out only have a 20 gal

6. TexasDomer

You're the best at controlling shrimp and snails!

7. S

Shrimp Planet New Member Member

Shrimp are best kept in a species only tank, however it's fine to keep them with most community fish as long as the shrimp have lots of places to hide (particularly after shedding). I have many shrimp tanks and the shrimp only tanks are thriving the strongest however I have fish in some of my shrimp tanks, these include guppies mollies and Otto's which are all safe with shrimp however the mollies do eat some of the baby shrimp when they stray too far in the open.

What shrimp are you thinking of getting? if you are new to the hobby the red cherry shrimp (RCS) would probably be the best option as they are very easy to care for and if you have both males and females you will almost certainly get baby's.

8. OP
    OP
    A

Just getting into the hobby was thinking about ghost shrimp because they are cheap and if they doe or get eaten I won't be disappointed

9. TexasDomer

You likely won't get any successful reproduction with ghost shrimp.

10. S

Ghost shrimp are excellent scavengers and easy to care for, however be wary as often your local pet stores will have shrimp labled as ghost shrimp but they are infact whisker shrimp. These shrimp look very similar and are often caught together in the wild. Whisker shrimp will grow much larger and are agressive shtimp they will catch and eat small shrimp and fish such as guppies and neons. An adult whisker shrimp will be much larger and more agressive and have a slightly blue tint to their largest claws.

Ghost shrimp are very difficult to breed as the baby shrimp will not survive in fresh water.

Whisker shrimp are very interesting shrimp but there is not many suitable tank mates to house them with. I keep my ghost shrimp with giant african shrimp bamboo shrimp and Amano shrimp and these all seem to get along fine and the amanos seem quick enough to avoid the whisker shrimps

Sorry I mean I keep my whisker shrimp with the fan shrimp and amanos. I have ghost shrimp in another tank with snails guppies and cherrys

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  11. TexasDomer

The baby shrimp will survive in fresh water and do not need brackish or salt water to survive. However, ghost shrimp hatch in a larval form (compared to the miniature adult form that cherry shrimp hatch into), and this larval form can't move on their own. They can't actively seek out food, and most die from a lack of food (as they need food in the water column, like green water).

12. S

That's interesting I never had any luck breeding in freshwater and read elsewhere they needed brackish. Might give them their own tank back and see what happens

13. TexasDomer

There are lots of species called grass or ghost shrimp, and some may require brackish, but not the ones sold in stores.

14. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

I disagree on whisker shrimp going after guppies. I have had 3 males guppies in my 7 gal tank with two whiskers and no problems. The whiskers are not fast enough to catch a guppy and the whiskers are two big for the guppy to eat.
    That said I would not plan on raising fry in in the tank with the whiskers, they would probably not survive.
    Also, if a LFS sells whiskers as ghost, they are loosing money whiskers will live a good life in tank, ghosts normally die within in a few weeks because they are mostly sold as feeders.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice