Shrimp and Ich Treatment

Wuvbug1

I've just gotten a dozen new shrimp--some within the past few days, and some within the past couple weeks from a few different LFS. I've noticed that one of my neon tetras has what looks like a spot of ich on its fin. Will aquarium salt or API General Cure help to fix the ich, and will either of these hurt my cherry shrimp? Those are what I have on hand right now, and the LFS around here are currently closed. I do not currently have a quarantine tank, but I have some clean plastic containers, a bubbler, and a preset heater if I need to take them out of the tank. What should I do?

Tank
Planted 10 gal, has been running for years. Aquaclear filter for up to 20 gal. Heater set at 76°F.
2 guppies, 5 neon tetra, 12 cherry shrimp, 2 otocinclus
Maintenance
I usually change about 25% of the water once a week, but I'm thinking of switching to 10% once a week in order to not shock my shrimp. I use Prime to treat my water. I vacuum the substrate.
Parameters
My tank is cycled. I use Tetra EastStrips to test my water.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
pH: 8.2
(Planning on doing a water change tomorrow)
Feeding
I feed a small pinch of Omega One Freshwater Flakes and 3 pellets of Hikari Crab Cuisine once a day. I do not feed any extra frozen food, blanched veggies, etc. I have a small chunk of cuttlebone for my shrimp to get calcium. I would like to sometimes supplement some food for blanched kale. How much, how often, etc. would be great to know!
Illness & Symptoms
I have had one of the otocinclus for quite a while, I'm not sure how long. The other fish and shrimp I've had have been in my tank for a few days/weeks. A tetra (I had 6) and 2 shrimp died, I'm assuming due to stress of shipping and stuff. This is the first sign of illness I have seen. I just noticed one spot on one tetra about an hour ago. I have not started treatment yet because I am hoping for some more experienced recommendations. None of the fish seemed ill, hurt, lethargic, etc. when I bought them. The fish with ich is still schooling with the other neon tetras like normal.

Thank you for any and all help! If anything at all seems wrong, don't hesitate to tell me because I want to learn and to keep my aquatic pets happy and healthy.

BigManAquatics

From what i have read, Ich-X should be safe to use for all your tank critters.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Ich-X is entirely safe. General Cure and salt won't do a thing for ich. Salt will also damage your plants.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Hi if you have ich, general cure won't work. IMO the best ich medication is ich-x by Hikari. I used 1tsp for every 10 gallons and after 4 days I had no more ich, but continued treatment for 7 days to ensure I got it all. Also I did 1/3 water changes every day for the 7 days. I had no adverse effects on my scaleless fish or cichlids. No one died and no one looked stressed from the medication.

Also, the ich-x says the product is safe for inverts, beneficial bacteria, and plants. No personal experience with any of that, but my beneficial bacteria was unchanged by the treatment. The product potentially can stain the silicone in your tank. It didn't stain anything in my tank except a rubber suction cup from a breeder box I left in there. If this is an issue, maybe setting up a QT would be ideal.

I would bump the temperature up slowly to the maximum your fish can handle. This will speed up the cycle of ich. You cannot kill ich that is on the fish, but only the free-floating ich in the water column that is beginning to multiply.

Just be sure that this is definitely ich. Do you see any scratching or irritability from the fish?

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

From what i have read, Ich-X should be safe to use for all your tank critters.
Okay, I'll see if I can find it at any stores near me tomorrow
Hi if you have ich, general cure won't work. IMO the best ich medication is ich-x by Hikari. I used 1tsp for every 10 gallons and after 4 days I had no more ich, but continued treatment for 7 days to ensure I got it all. Also I did 1/3 water changes every day for the 7 days. I had no adverse effects on my scaleless fish or cichlids. No one died and no one looked stressed from the medication.

Also, the ich-x says the product is safe for inverts, beneficial bacteria, and plants. No personal experience with any of that, but my beneficial bacteria was unchanged by the treatment. The product potentially can stain the silicone in your tank. It didn't stain anything in my tank except a rubber suction cup from a breeder box I left in there. If this is an issue, maybe setting up a QT would be ideal.

I would bump the temperature up slowly to the maximum your fish can handle. This will speed up the cycle of ich. You cannot kill ich that is on the fish, but only the free-floating ich in the water column that is beginning to multiply.

Just be sure that this is definitely ich. Do you see any scratching or irritability from the fish?

I've noticed that the guppies would flick themselves off of the plants, gravel, etc. sometimes, but I haven't seen any white dots on them. I'm not 100% sure if it is ich or not because I've never had it before, but it definitely wasn't there before today. The neon tetra that I saw with the white dot is acting normal. I'll look into getting some Ich-X if I can find it around here

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I've noticed that the guppies would flick themselves off of the plants, gravel, etc. sometimes, but I haven't seen any white dots on them. I'm not 100% sure if it is ich or not because I've never had it before, but it definitely wasn't there before today. The neon tetra that I saw with the white dot is acting normal. I'll look into getting some Ich-X if I can find it around here
I do know it is carried at both my LFSs, not sure i have looked at the chain stores. Also on Amazon, if that helps.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I wouldn't make an Ich diagnosis due to just one spot. But it's worthwhile having some Ich meds on hand if you need it. If it is indeed Ich you will soon see more spots. Ich is introduced and not from shrimp. Have you added any new fish in the last week or so?

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

I wouldn't make an Ich diagnosis due to just one spot. But it's worthwhile having some Ich meds on hand if you need it. If it is indeed Ich you will soon see more spots. Ich is introduced and not from shrimp. Have you added any new fish in the last week or so?
Yes, I have gotten the neon tetras, guppies, and one of the otocinclus all within about the past 3ish weeks? I did not see any ich on them when I bought them though...
I do know it is carried at both my LFSs, not sure i have looked at the chain stores. Also on Amazon, if that helps.
It is not sold at any chain stores around here. The fastest I'd be able to get it would be in 5 days from Amazon if no LFS around here have it. Would it be safe to wait that long? I'll call some small LFS tomorrow when they're open again

Upvote 0

GlennO

If it was 3 weeks ago it would have showed up by now. Normally within a few days of introducing infected fish. It may or may not be Ich, just monitor for now.

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

Alrighty. Thanks to you and everyone else for helping me out. I'll definitely get the Ich-X if I wake up tomorrow morning and see anymore spots.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Ok good luck, and usually that is a sign of ich and sometimes it can just be them looking for food etc. When I had ich in my tank some fish never showed any white dots, but still flicked themselves off rocks and the sand. It could have been them kicking up debris to find food, or I just couldn't see the ich for whatever reason. Either way, you should start to see more than one dot soon. Ich is very curable and does not need to be a death sentence if you catch it and treat it quickly.

I would also buy some melafix for post-ich. Often fish can get a secondary infection from scratching their bodies up from being itchy. But after a week of 1/3 water changes, I am sure your water is going to be the cleanest it ever has haha. Even though it is perfect as of right now anyways.

Upvote 0

smee82

Can you post a pic of the white dot. There has been a couple of posts now where the fish had a white spot but didn't have ich.

Ich only looks like a grain of salt so if its bigger then a single grain, has fuzzy edges or is an off white colour then its not ich.

Do not raise the temp until you are sure its ich some other disease are a lot worse in higher temps.

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

So, I don't see more white dots... But my fish are all extremely pale right now. I have a neon tetra, maybe a couple, slowly swimming in circles. I literally have no idea what's going on... My boyfriend said they didn't eat very much this morning. My guppies' fins are looking extremely pale too. One of the fins of my guppies is looking a bit torn. I don't think I can wait for Ich-X to get shipped here if it is ich...
Can you post a pic of the white dot. There has been a couple of posts now where the fish had a white spot but didn't have ich.

Ich only looks like a grain of salt so if its bigger then a single grain, has fuzzy edges or is an off white colour then its not ich.

Do not raise the temp until you are sure its ich some other disease are a lot worse in higher temps.
I can't see the white dot on the one neon tetra anymore. All of my fish are looking sick too. If you read what I posted before responding to you, it sounds a lot like how ich is described online

Attachments

• 16072286578013121270066602865702.jpg
    16072286578013121270066602865702.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

So, I don't see more white dots... But my fish are all extremely pale right now. I have a neon tetra, maybe a couple, slowly swimming in circles. I literally have no idea what's going on... My boyfriend said they didn't eat very much this morning. My guppies' fins are looking extremely pale too. One of the fins of my guppies is looking a bit torn. I don't think I can wait for Ich-X to get shipped here if it is ich...

I can't see the white dot on the one neon tetra anymore. All of my fish are looking sick too. If you read what I posted before responding to you, it sounds a lot like how ich is described online

From that photo, ich doesn't look like the problem.

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

From that photo, ich doesn't look like the problem.
Do you think it could possibly be neon tetra disease? I'm trying to do as much research as I can right now...

Upvote 0

GlennO

I don't see any obvious disease but they do look pale. A pH of 8.2 is quite high for Neons, I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Might need someone else to comment I don't have lots of experience with Neons.

Upvote 0

Wuvbug1

I don't see any obvious disease but they do look pale. A pH of 8.2 is quite high for Neons, I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Might need someone else to comment I don't have lots of experience with Neons.
Maybe, but the neons and the guppies both started looking very sick within like a day. I've had them for a few weeks, so it's odd to me that things are starting to pop up now. Especially so quickly
Omg I just realized I did actually type 8.2 instead of 7.2. That was a horrible typo, sorry! It's about 7.2!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
ProudPapa