Shrimp and heat questions

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by codyrex97, Jun 23, 2016.

1. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

How hot can shrimp take? Specifically Amano shrimp. My tank goes from 78 to 82 slowly throughout the day, cooler at night and hottest in the middle of the day. Is this bad? This happens in nature yes? So I assume the slow fluctuation is something the fish will be able to handle, as long as the temperature doesn't exceed their limits. My tank has a Betta and Amano shrimp. The Betta I'm not worried about as those temps are within his range, but the shrimp I'm unsure about.

Info is much appreciated, thanks!

2. I'm not Fish-ist

I'm not Fish-ist Valued Member Member

From my personal experiences with shrimp they can take up to about 85 ish. Most common shrimp can be in water from 65 F' to warm tropical temps ( 78 - 82) I have owned many shrimp and amanos are tough little buggers. What size tank do you have and what is the wattage of your heater(s)?

3. OP
    OP
    codyrex97

My tank is 10 gallons, the heater is a 50 watt and keeps the tank at least 78 degrees, but with summer time here, my tank gets to like 85 degrees at hottest part of the day.

I have a Betta and I had 3 Amano shrimp but 2 just up and disappeared...still haven't discovered if they escaped or if they burrowed somewhere or died. I pulled up some plants and tried to find them but nothing. Only one Amano remains now. I intend to get him some buddies soon because he seems very shy by himself, as he's stuck to hiding in the Java Fern where as when there were 3 they hung out in the open.

4. I'm not Fish-ist

Shrimp are very crafty escape artists. They will climb anything and everything with those many legs of their's. So the chance that they escaped and suffocated out of water is very high. They most likely crawled out the tank because they were uncomfortable with the high temps. They can survive those temps but they will Not thrive. If you have an adjustable heater try slowly lowering it over a 2 days by say, 3-4 degrees. Good luck with your shrimpy

5. OP
    OP
    codyrex97

The heater is not adjustable and only turns on to keep the tank at a minimal of 78 :/ I don't think it's even turned on in a few days because the temp here is pretty warm during summer.

I believe you're right though, the shrimp probably escaped. I haven't noticed any odd smells from dead shrimp though and haven't seen any bodies. The tank is in my room though so they could be in a lot of places.

6. I'm not Fish-ist

Since they are small you wont notice them anywhere unless you move a lot of stuff and look good. Probably best way to stabilize your temp is to get a chiller. They are normally used for saltwater reef tanks but they can be used in any tank set up. The cheapest ones are about 20 to 60$ But there is a cheap alternative to a chiller. You can replace your tank top with a small mesh screen (or buy a ten gallon terrarium top) and set your tank lights on it and have a fan blow on it as much as needed. This increases water evaporation which will cool the water down, but keep in mind if you do this you will have to add water more often.

7. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Link please to tank chillers that are $20-$60? Whenever I look for them they are like $250 on the low end.

I think I would personally try the fan route first though, especially with the crazy temp fluctuations that have been happening in CA this summer, it's fully possible that the tank is actually getting hotter than that.

8. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

Also, for the disappeared shrimp, do you have an HOB filter? I had an amano who was ALWAYS crawling into the HOB filter. I'd check for them there too!

9. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Where do you live that your tank gets so warm inside? What do you keep the inside temps on? I live in Arkansas and it gets HOT outside but we keep the air on so it stays cool inside.

10. Bithimala

Per the profile, OP is in San Diego. If it's like most of the people I work with (bulk of my team is in Irvine, CA), they aren't used to the crazy high temps we get, and this year their weather is going insane. Lots of my team do not have AC because they haven't needed it previously...

11. OP
    OP
    codyrex97

I found the shrimp crafty escapists indeed. RIP

I live in El Cajon, just further inland of San Diego. I live with my parents so they sort of control the AC but I can try to convince them, although the last few days the tank hasn't gotten over 82 so that's good! Another heat wave and I might lose the last shrimp. He's still in there but hiding all the time. I will try for AC but also will try with the fan.

Thank you guys for the tips! I won't get more shrimp until I get a reliable cooling method.

12. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Oh man! I'm hoping you don't have our humidity with those temps! Dry heat is much easier to handle! Well a fan will definitely keep air flowing and if you can blow it across the water it may help to cool the tank but I'm not certain there. It will definitely make it evaporate faster so keep an eye on water levels. Maybe do a partial water change every day with some cooler water ... it might take it longer to get back up to the higher temps. Just ideas ... hoping someone with more experience can chime in whether this will help or harm.

13. OP
    OP
    codyrex97

Water changes are a good idea, or perhaps some ghetto chiller by putting cold water or ice water into a ziplock bag and floating that inside, dunno how well that'd work.

And I can definitely tell the evaporation difference from earlier this year to the heat recently.

14. Bithimala

From experience, both of the above will help. Our AC was out for a few days a couple weeks ago, and the room my tanks are in was sitting around 100...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice