Shrimp and copper sulfate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I went into a fish store today to grab some supplies, and noticed they were having a pretty huge sale. I was able to pick up 3 bronze cories, a small thing of shrimp pellets, a nerite snail, and 10 ghost shrimp all for about $5 :jawdrop:

When i got home, I checked the shrimp pellets to see if they had copper sulfate like I knew many pellets did because I remembered that copper sulfate is pretty harmful to most inverts. As it turns out the shrimp pellets do have copper sulfate and so I did some research trying to find more info on whether or not it would hurt the shrimp. I found mostly conflicting info, some people reported having absolutely no problem, while others noticed their shrimp turning white and blamed the copper sulfate. I understand how copper sulfate is only harmful at certain levels, but it would be pretty much impossible to determine exactly how much copper the shrimp would be getting.

Anyways, Id like to hear from people who have fed their ghost shrimp pellets with copper sulfate in them and if there were any noticeable effects on the shrimp

thanks for your time

bass master

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've heard that copper is deadly to inverts. Many many years ago we were told to put pennies in a tank to get rid of snails. I would not add anything with copper to and invert tank. Hope to hear from otheres with more/better experiences than mine!!

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wonder if that's my problem. I haven't fed my shrimp anything yet but they're dying off by the handful. Could there be copper in the water? Excuse me. I didn't mean to hijack your post. I feed my snail with copper-free algae and he likes it fine. I know that doesn't help much. Uh ...next response.

Last edited:
OP
bass master

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cant say I can answer your ? jackie, Im kinda new to caring for these shrimp myself, theve always been food in the past.

Mine seem to be dying off, I found a carcass today when I turned the light on, I was going to net it out, but the DG ate it before I could. My DG doesnt seem to give them a second glance when the are alive and kicking, but Im guessing the dead shrimp was easier to swallow. This leads me to believe that others have died and gotten eaten before I noticed, Im pretty sure Im down to 3-4 of the original 10 so theyre disappearing somehow. Just an update for any who are curious, I would now have to advise against using food with copper sulfate with shrimp. I am not certain of this however... Just another thread with no definite conclusion...

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've read that elemental copper = deadly; copper compounds = safe. I have a cherry shrimp breeder tank that I was feeding on (expensive) copper-free shrimp pellets, and I've only just switched them over to fish flakes that have copper sulphates in them. No problems so far, but I'll be sure to let you know if anything unexpected happens.

OP
bass master

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im pretty sure its the copper ion that is toxic, Ive used snail treatments that are just a copper sulfate solution, and another known treatment for snails is leaving pennies in the tank until they rust, producing a copper compound. My Shrimp were fine for 2-3 weeks, so just keep an eye on the shrimp once you start feeding them the new flakes. Im sure some foods may be fine, but Im starting to think the wardley brand shrimp pellets are not.

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe I'll set up two tanks, and feed one with the cheap copper sulfate stuff, and the other with the copper-free stuff to see what happens. Depends how much space I can free up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom