Shrimp and bettas

Desi

So I have shrimp in two of my male betta tanks and it’s working well. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to try and add some shrimp to my sorority tank? It’s a 55 gallon with 9 girls and a small school of neons. All the girls are super sweet to each other since they are sisters and grew up together. :)

RomeoOscar

If you have a lot of hiding spots, go for it. But be prepared to lose a huge amount of shrimp.
I keep one betta with red cherry and she snacks on them whenever she has a chance. She's an outstanding hunter. I don't mind. But it's an expensive snack lol

OP
Desi

Desi

RomeoOscar said:
If you have a lot of hiding spots, go for it. But be prepared to lose a huge amount of shrimp.
I keep one betta with red cherry and she snacks on them whenever she has a chance. She's an outstanding hunter. I don't mind. But it's an expensive snack lol
lol :D

RomeoOscar

I guess the right answer would be a huge No on betta vs shrimp.

But its a healthy snack, good for population control... And good hunting exercise for the betta. However 9 bettas unless you have a densely planted tank with lots of hiding spots there won't be many shrimp left.

There's a chance some would survive though to keep breeding a healthy meal for bettas lol

OP
Desi

Desi

RomeoOscar said:
I guess the right answer would be a huge No on betta vs shrimp.

But its a healthy snack, good for population control... And good hunting exercise for the betta. However 9 bettas unless you have a densely planted tank with lots of hiding spots there won't be many shrimp left.

There's a chance some would survive though to keep breeding a healthy meal for bettas lol
I was planning on putting my culls in there, but now I’m thinking that I don’t have the heart to do that.

RomeoOscar

Desi said:
I was planning on putting my culls in there, but now I’m thinking that I don’t have the heart to do that.
It's nature some animals eat other animals. In their natural habitat bettas will eat anything that moves and can fit in their mouth. Nothing wrong with it. Your bettas will appreciate the exercise and the healthy meal. Some might not even be interested in the shrimp if you feed them well, but once they realize shrimp are food, whenever you miss the feeding schedule, there goes a shrimp lol

RomeoOscar

adagona said:
My betta hunted and harassed amano shrimp to death, while squeezing through all the plants. The shrimps are the same size as him. My betta is one persistent fish.
Wow that's impressive, mine never touched the Amano, but will gladly eat a red cherry if she can catch one. My amanos eventually disappeared and I never found the bodies (I only had 2 of them) maybe the betta ate them, who knows

adagona

RomeoOscar said:
Wow that's impressive, mine never touched the Amano, but will gladly eat a red cherry if she can catch one. My amanos eventually disappeared and I never found the bodies (I only had 2 of them) maybe the betta ate them, who knows
Yeah, turns out that if your fish is persistent enough, it doesn't matter how big the shrimp is. 1 shrimp jumped and 1 died during her fun. Eventually I sent her to timeout box and caught the surviving shrimp to a safer tank.

Here is my guilty fish looking upset. I had to put a lid on her timeout box because she kept escaping.

RomeoOscar

adagona said:
Yeah, turns out that if your fish is persistent enough, it doesn't matter how big the shrimp is. 1 shrimp jumped and 1 died during her fun. Eventually I sent her to timeout box and caught the surviving shrimp to a safer tank.

Here is my guilty fish looking upset. I had to put a lid on her timeout box because she kept escaping.
What a beautiful fish! I love the shrimp but as long as they keep breeding I don't mind she eats one or two once In a while... Did you keep him in that box for how long? I'm going to begin heat treatment for ich, and I've done this in the past, rummy nose tetras get very mad when I increase temperature, I'm thinking in putting the betta on that box for a couple weeks in order to protect her. In the bast the rummy nose tetras chased the betta around when I increased temperature to 30 degrees Celsius. Wonder if they can live in that box for a couple weeks...? Thanks for the heads up I know now they can jump from that!

adagona

RomeoOscar said:
What a beautiful fish! I love the shrimp but as long as they keep breeding I don't mind she eats one or two once In a while... Did you keep him in that box for how long? I'm going to begin heat treatment for ich, and I've done this in the past, rummy nose tetras get very mad when I increase temperature, I'm thinking in putting the betta on that box for a couple weeks in order to protect her. In the bast the rummy nose tetras chased the betta around when I increased temperature to 30 degrees Celsius. Wonder if they can live in that box for a couple weeks...? Thanks for the heads up I know now they can jump from that!
I find that shrimps don't breed faster than a betta appetite, and the shrimps will never be able to stop to graze as they have to keep escaping. I've also tried putting RCS with another male betta, he got a $12 buffet on the same day.... There was decent plant cover but perhaps the plants need to be dense enough for fish to not squeeze through. I found that betta can also turn sideways to squeeze through plants just to get to food.

Perhaps temperature might have to do with the fact that my betta are more pig like? My tank temperature fluctuate from 26C to 30C since that is the room temperature here in the tropics.

Anyway, she was only in timeout for an hour and looks dramatically pale and clamped. I suppose you can do that for longer but your fish wont be happy about it.

New Threads