Shrimp Acting Crazy After Water Change? Question

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Smurfles, Jul 11, 2019.

1. SmurflesNew MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon tank that I have posted on here previously. Where I inherited 3 Zebra Danio and 4 Amano shrimp from somebody who was just going to dispose of them. I've since added 2 more Danio and found their behaviour has calmed right down and i've began to enjoy having them around.

Currently my tank is now cycled (I think atleast) as I don't have any ammonia or nitrite readings and my nitrate will fluctuate between 10-20ppm before a water change. Due to the small tank and amount of fish I do around a 40% change to keep the levels right down once per week. However, i've noticed that each water change the shrimp go crazy around the tank. Usually it's just one of them but since they've moulted recently all 4 were acting crazy today.

So i'm wondering if it's because of the change in water parameters that is the problem? I make sure the water is room temperature before going and there's no heater or anything in the tank so temps should match. I don't want to keep stressing my shrimp out with water changes but I need the larger amount to keep my nitrates down. I'm feeling like this is a bit of a catch 22. What would you guys recommend? I'm really wondering if it's stress causing them to behave this way and if I need to do smaller changes or something.

2. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I have never had shrimp but am thinking about getting some so have been doing a lot of reading up on how to take care of them. If I understand correctly they don't like big water changes.

I always recommend 1 large water change each week instead of several smaller ones but in this case I think it would be better to do 2 smaller ones each week instead of one big one once a week.

3. Aly's_BettaNew MemberMember

I’ve always called it getting the zoomies. Sometimes they do it because of stress, or sometimes they just zoom to get around. Since it’s right after water changes, I would say it’s just stress and they’re freakin out a bit. So I agree with @mattgirl to do 2 smaller water changes instead of 1 large one, should help calm them down. My shrimp hate water changes as well.

4. SmurflesNew MemberMember

Thank you for the replies guys. I'm going to start smaller water changes and see if that helps. Getting the zoomies is a cute way of describing if though.

5. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

@mattgirl is correct water changes that big with shrimp can kill them quite easily you are fortunate they are ammano that can tolerate a little abuse if they were cherry the chances are they'd be dead

6. SmurflesNew MemberMember

They came from a place where they had much larger water changes that were done once a month in a tank so filthy you couldn't see in it. This problem with them zooming around the tank only started a few weeks ago. Bare in mind I unfortunately had to do a fish in cycle so initially I was changing the water frequently. I'll admit i'm a newbie but abuse seems a bit far?

7. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

On the contrary they will take a little more abuse than other shrimp in as much as they tolerate a lot more and people subject them to this when big fast water changes are done or they live in stinking tanks,