Shredded Guppy Tails

Chele35

Reaction score
I have an 8 gallon Classic BiOrb with 3 male guppies (turquoise, sunrise, lyretail). It’s 4 months old. Everything was cycled. I check the parameters weekly with the API liquid tests to confirm. I change ~30% of the water weekly and the filter monthly when I clean the decorations.

3 weeks ago we woke up to problems. The fourth male, a tuxedo, was missing the second half of his tail and acting funny. I went to the store to buy water and get melafix so I could do an emergency water change as the local water was boosted with extra chloramine because of COVID-19.

The next day the tuxedo had stuff hanging from his mouth that I guess was rot and the other 3 fish tail fins were shredded (the lyretail tail also in bad shape). Water change again using Prime treated tap. The next day the tuxedo died and looked like his scales were peeling following a bad sunburn but in pock marks all over.

We did a 50% water change, boiled the decorations, removed the activated charcoal from the filter and started daily treatments of melafix for 7 days. Towards the end of the treatment I started finding that my tank was starting to act like it wasn’t cycled anymore. Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 5.0. Fins on turq and lyr are getting worse but they are acting ok.

Changed the decorations around. Added double dose prime to the water in case whatever they are doing to the city water is causing this because the pH is 8.0. Added tetra safe start after water changes as though doing a fish in cycle. Put regular filter back in and stopped Melafix; this is day 8.

Now my tourquoise went from chunk out to a rip. My lyretail looks like the top of his tail is partially missing, in the middle the tail spines have nothing between for the second half. Their other fins look fine. Sunrise is more straight instead of scoop and raggedy on the very end but in better shape than the other two.

I’m at a loss. I don’t see the tell tale signs of illness but they are in bad shape. I’m wondering if the sunrise is being a bully or what your experience tells you. The sunrise does chase everyone.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have any plastic plants in the tank? What decorations are there?

OP
C

Chele35

Reaction score
Yes. 4 biOrb plants. Two are tall seaweed, one is a tall thing with purple buds and a shorter blue and white seaweed thing. On the center bubble tube, I have the shipwreck boat by biOrb

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plastic can catch long flowing fins, I’d remove the plastic for now since we aren’t sure what else could be causing it.

Can you give us a picture?

Do you notice any color changes or white fuzz or anything indicating infection on the edges of the fin, or does it just look like they’re tearing / ripping / chunked?

OP
C

Chele35

Reaction score
FECB8428-1DB5-4152-AFF9-21B3D5256517.jpeg

LivebearerMom said:
Plastic can catch long flowing fins, I’d remove the plastic for now since we aren’t sure what else could be causing it.

Do you notice any color changes or white fuzz or anything indicating infection on the edges of the fin, or does it just look like they’re tearing / ripping / chunked?
LivebearerMom said:

OP
C

Chele35

Reaction score
Chele35 said:
FECB8428-1DB5-4152-AFF9-21B3D5256517.jpeg

They just look shredded, chunked and ragged. It’s weird because it was fine for months and all of the sudden problems. I had taken the ship out during the melafix treatment but put it back in because the turq and lyr like to hang out in there to get relief from the sunrise. The sunrise has been crazier than ever since all this started.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That’s a cute tank :) but I meant a picture of the ripped fins if you can get one haha.

I just reread your original post, you don’t have to change the filter media monthly. You’re just tossing all the beneficial bacteria and could cause ammonia spikes and send the tank into a new cycle. But since you check ammonia regularly, I assume you would’ve noticed a spike earlier. The ammonia now is due to the boiling of the decorations which killed all your bacteria. Thankfully you still have the filter so it should cycle quickly.

OP
C

Chele35

Reaction score
Sorry. I had researched why it went downhill so fast after the tuxedo died and was worried about columnaris. I check them over every time I feed them and the day before the tuxedo got sick they were all fine. The two in the pic are zippy right now and I can’t get a clear pic. I don’t see anything fuzzy or discolored. But I noticed that my turq had a couple brown spots at the base of his tail where his body meets his tail fin. So I put a dose of melafix in a couple hours ago and It always bubbles like soap. Is that normal? The brown spots were there when the tuxedo died too. And when I was giving them melafix they had essentially disappeared.

OP
C

Chele35

Reaction score
These were as good as I could get
710CAD0B-1E14-468F-86AE-45DE4A6B6FC1.jpeg
370ABCD6-3B8A-477F-B72B-2C8F07B5E935.jpeg

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In that small of a tank, with only 3 fish, theyre going to bully each other to death. I find Guppies are HUGE bullies when kept in smaller tanks and smaller groups. My sons been keeping a 10 gallon in his room with a group of all male Guppies for 8 years now and whenever the number gets to be under 5 fish, all heck breaks loose. 7 is the minimum we have had luck with, but 9+ works better. All males only.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
In that small of a tank, with only 3 fish, theyre going to bully each other to death. I find Guppies are HUGE bullies when kept in smaller tanks and smaller groups. My sons been keeping a 10 gallon in his room with a group of all male Guppies for 8 years now and whenever the number gets to be under 5 fish, all heck breaks loose. 7 is the minimum we have had luck with, but 9+ works better. All males only.
It sounds like OP had the fish for months before anything happened, though.

Chele35 said:
Sorry. I had researched why it went downhill so fast after the tuxedo died and was worried about columnaris. I check them over every time I feed them and the day before the tuxedo got sick they were all fine. The two in the pic are zippy right now and I can’t get a clear pic. I don’t see anything fuzzy or discolored. But I noticed that my turq had a couple brown spots at the base of his tail where his body meets his tail fin. So I put a dose of melafix in a couple hours ago and It always bubbles like soap. Is that normal? The brown spots were there when the tuxedo died too. And when I was giving them melafix they had essentially disappeared.
Have you noticed any of them staying very, very close to the underside of each other? It almost looks like they’re trying to mate, but it’s a huge aggression sign when they’re both males and can stress them into getting sick. Chasing is a more obvious aggression sign.

It sounds like the only symptoms you are seeing physically are these brown spots on their bodies? Columnaris would appear white, not brown. It is also possible for columnaris to kill super quickly without showing anything on the body. Columnaris is always in the tank but infects fish that are weakened (could be from stress from bullying).

Sadly I have never seen a disease with brown spots, but I’m sure someone on this forum has seen it.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LivebearerMom said:
Because theyre maturing and developing a pecking order. All the Guppies Ive ever had will do it in small numbers & small tanks. Its like dogs: All puppies are friendly and playful, but after 6-8 months even the nicest dogs can develop bad demeanor.

OP
C

Chele35

Reaction score
LivebearerMom said:

Have you noticed any of them staying very, very close to the underside of each other? It almost looks like they’re trying to mate, but it’s a huge aggression sign when they’re both males and can stress them into getting sick. Chasing is a more obvious aggression sign.

It sounds like the only symptoms you are seeing physically are these brown spots on their bodies? Columnaris would appear white, not brown. It is also possible for columnaris to kill super quickly without showing anything on the body. Columnaris is always in the tank but infects fish that are weakened (could be from stress from bullying).

Sadly I have never seen a disease with brown spots, but I’m sure someone on this forum has seen it.
Yes. The sunrise constantly goes to the underside of the turq. Normally everyone left the lyr alone (he’s the smallest). The turq is the biggest. When the tuxedo was in there, the sunrise went after him too. Seems to like those big tails. The turq will let the sunrise chase him and then cut into the plants and go in the boat. The sunrise does a couple more circles of the tank and then seems to divert attention to scavenging. Then the turq comes out and they are fine for a while. The lyretail just seems to do his thing on his own for the most part. Sometimes the three of them zip around the tank together but they don’t seem to be chasing. It doesn’t last long and they seem to move like a school. The turq will stop when I go near the tank and watch and the other two just kinda hang out with him or they disperse. And at night I always find them resting together.

New Threads