Shredded Guppy Tail

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my male fancy guppy's tail seems to be getting a little frayed at the end since I got him from the fish store. I don't know if it is fin rot or something else. What should I do? Here is a picture of him:

Attachments

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is he in the tank with a male betta? As a mechanic would say, "Well there's your problem." Bettas are better off on their own. Some members here have had success keeping bettas in community tanks but others have had the bettas just snap one day after months of peace. So if that betta really is in the tank with the guppy, I'm going to say that the betta's been nipping and someone's got to move out. If you have a QT, you can move the guppy to it so it can heal. Use melafix and pimafix can help, as well as StressCoat, VitaChem and adding garlic juice to his food. You absolutely canNOT use melafix with a betta in the same tank, it can harm them.

-Lisa

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First of all, thank you for the response. I had NO idea melafix was dangerous to bettas (I had been dosing him with it in a small tank after he hurt himself but luckily nothing bad happened). Also, as to keeping the betta in with other fish my local pet center does it and told me they have no problems. They told me that I shouldn't worry about the betta attacking the other fish because they are faster than him. I assume this is not true? I am starting to think about moving the betta into a 5.5 gallon unfiltered tank with possibly and ADF. Would that work?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Never trust the LFS. Bettas can move quickly when they want to. . Like I said, some people have done it with no problems but then there are those that snap one day with no warning. There's no way to know if your betta is cool or if he's the type to go postal.

I had no idea about bettas and melafix until I bought my gourami and got a link about it (it's here on FL somewhere). All labrynth fish are vulnerable to melafix, but I've been told here that pimafix is ok for them. They have bettafix which is supposed to be safe.

I wouldn't keep anything but a snail or two with a betta but I'm not the betta-ing type (sorry, I couldn't resist ). Some people have been able to keep a school of Pygmy corys or otos, and some have been able to keep some shrimp but they'll probably get eaten. I don't think I'd risk it with a ADF since from what I understand they have pretty poor vision and no real defenses. Getting a really pretty snail, like a nerite to complement the bettas colors, would work. But at the same time some people, like jerilovesfrogs, had their male bettas flare at and/or attack their snail roommate. You just never know with them. Someone needs to make betta lithium or something.

-Lisa

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Even if I was to keep a betta with other fish (which I never would), guppys have pretty tails which are very offensive to bettas. You are probably stressing your betta out by having it in with those guppys.

I would suggest you find a filter and heater for your 5gal and put your betta in it. I don't recommend ADFs with bettas because they won't give your frog a chance to eat. I have seen people successfully hand feed ADFs, and I can get each of mine to eat a worm from tweezers, but it takes FOREVER for them to realize its food and they need to eat much more than a fish but your betta will quickly realize that you have tastey worms on the end of your tweezers or stick or what ever and will snag it off long before you even get the chance to get your frog to realize its food. I hope that all made sense...i was kinda rambling.

I wouldnt recommend keeping bettas with ADFs sorry.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppy and Betta should not be sharing a tank......Betta are solitary fish....They are very aggressive......Please get the Betta male out of that tank and into one of his own.......

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I'd hit myself in the head with a baseball bat if I had to hand feed an ADF. It sounds painful, Kupcake.

-Lisa

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kunsthure said:
I think I'd hit myself in the head with a baseball bat if I had to hand feed an ADF. It sounds painful, Kupcake.

-Lisa
They are so funny, but really just with tweezers and 1 worm you have to move it around on their nose and in their face for like 2-3 min before they realize its food. Once you get them to eat one the next couple are easier, but by the next feeding they totally seem to forget and it takes another 2-3 min again. And I have 7 ADFs...forget it

I have a bowl which I fill up with black worms 2x a day, they seem to know the bowl is where the food will be, but still the worms sit there for 30 min or more before they realise there is food in the tank.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
These frogs sound like Mr. Magoo. Or are they just kinda "slow"? I'm glad I didn't get one now!

-Lisa

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kunsthure said:
These frogs sound like Mr. Magoo. Or are they just kinda "slow"? I'm glad I didn't get one now!

-Lisa
Hmm, I don't know. They are just like so oblivious to everything. I catch them by hand if I need to move them. They don't seem scared of anything, but if a fish hits them quick then they move over, they never run away from anything...I wouldnt classify them as 'slow' Mr. Magoo is a good way to describe them for sure.

Sorry for the hyjack OP, I just can't resist talking about frogs!

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Question: Can I buy a tank divider so I can divide my 10 gallon and keep the betta in a smaller half and the guppies in the other?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Erskine said:
Question: Can I buy a tank divider so I can divide my 10 gallon and keep the betta in a smaller half and the guppies in the other?
Yes, you will want to put plants and other things next to the divider on both sides so it doesn't stress out your betta. You still wouldnt want more than 6-7guppys in a 10 with a betta, that will be your stocking limit.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads