Shredded fins.

mishykinz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my male bettas, Coppy, has shredded fins. When I turned on the light this morning his tail fins were in tatters. I just did a water change two days ago (and unfortunately I'm out of test kits so I'm not sure what the levels are, but they were normal last I checked). I have no idea what could be the cause. If it's fin rot, does it set in within a day? He was fine last night. He looks like he got into a fight, but there's no way the other bettas got to him since I pretty much fool-proofed the tank after the last incident.

Should I put him in the breeder box and do another water change and just medicate him with Bettafix?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I can't be sure, maybe a pic would help. When anybody has fins that are ripped or torn, I usually add Vita-Chem. It really helps speed up the repair process. As you mentioned, water parameters would be great as a starter point, but even with fin rot, pristine water changed frequently with Prime should help him get better soon, rather than resorting to meds. With the Vita-Chem, I add 1 drop per gallon every week and if someone has fin issues, a couple of drops every day to speed up the healing. Best of luck with your little guy, he'll be on the mend shortly.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
vita chem is a great addition!!
he either has a tail biting issue, or the intake valve on the filter got him...for it to happen overnight like that, even ammonia present wont work that fast....I agree on the method tigerfishy suggested....and maybe cover up the intake of the filter with some filter floss ....check all the decorations to make sure there isnt anything sharp as well...good luck!

mishykinz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it may be tail-biting. This morning I found his fins even shorter, despite being in the breeder box. I don't have any vita-chem on me at the moment, is maracyn safe to give bettas?

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could use bettafix. I have used it for fin regrowth before and it usually works quickly and effectively.

mishykinz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used maracyn last night but he doesn't seem to be improving. He lists on the bottom of the box and can't even seem to stay upright. It seems like there might be more going on with him than just shredded fins. Jeez I'm really scared of losing him...

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I really hate to say this, but my Neptune got this a few days before he died. He got his fins all shredde (nothing sharp in tank, no tank mates etc.). he just sat about the bottom hardly moving, and swimming funny. Started to refuse his food, then passed away 4 days after the first day he acted funny. I'm positive with him it was old age.
I really, really, really hope this is not the same (he died last Thu, so I know how you must be feeling).
If there's any consolation, there was nothing I could do for him (believe me, I checked on here), but he had a good life with me, and it's the same for you. Keep a good eye on him and please keep us updated

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey guys - I have some travel-worn bettas (in the mail for 2 days) and their tails could use some healing. They are in good water paremeters, but I'd like to speed it up with Vita Chem. I haven't seen it at PetCo or PetSmart - anyone know where else I might find it, even if it's online?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I order mine online, not sure where in USA you would get it, try the drsfostersmith website, I know a lot of members use that...

Splendorfish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Here is one website that sells vita chem

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thank you - I just ordered a bottle

Etcetera

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If a betta simply has torn fins, there is no reason to treat it with medication. Bettas bite their tails when they are bored or stressed and medicating them when there is nothing wrong will only exacerbate the problem.

If the edges are covered in a dark, crusty material, it is likely a sign of fin rot. There is still no need to medicate. This is a sign that your water is not up to par with a betta's health needs. You will should start to see improvement after keeping the betta in a heated and consistently clean environment. If your tank is not cycled, partial changes won't get all the ammonia out. You need to do regular 100% changes.

You need to get a good liquid test kit to test your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, and you need to increase the amount of water changes you do. Parameters can swing rapidly as bacteria bloom and die off in an unstable tank. A good dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia is another good idea. Prime and Amquel+ both detoxify ammonia. Keep treating the fish with antibiotic until the minimum termination time, but once that is over, stop.

Is the tank heated? What are you feeding him? How big is the tank? Hope he gets better soon!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you suspect fin rot, I'd recommend the combination of triple sulfa and rid-fungus to deal with both causes of fin rot. Vita-chem and Fish Protector are both good for helping with fin regrowth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom