Shredded Fins On Goldy (jupe)

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The Ok, NOW I’m gonna start eyeing the panic button. So turns out, the danios I had with Jupiter MAULED his fins. I thought it was rot untill I saw a big female picking at his fins, then guarding her snack from the others. Long story short, they’re gone and Jupe is getting worse. His pectoral fin I’m worried about the most.

Problems are the following.
-No QT cause I don’t have any more filters or the SPACE for a tub to QT a 6-7” goldfish.
-Lots of scaless fish: loaches and catfish.
0761D942-742D-49C9-91A8-AE70596C463B.png
A6C99D3A-31DC-4E2D-8D84-17EFED4DC303.png
809F7246-44F9-4822-9B67-3931E4D201EA.png

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea with the scaleless fish it really limits your options. Since its a goldfish i probably would try some salt baths since you cant actually add it to the tank.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hitting the panic button. Salt isn’t gonna cut it now and I’ll be getting a tub I can QT him in tomorrow. Heading to the city so time for some heavy meds. I’ll move one of my 405 canisters over from the 65 with him. (Big white spot on his back is reflection) but yes his face is that pink. No it’s not normal.
923EE5F8-24E3-426B-BF17-411E5544E35A.png
25485E09-3637-4C73-99FA-770C7D8C9959.png

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That looks really bad. I’m starting to think the Danios nipping at his fins are an effect rather the cause. I know you had him for a long time. Hopefully he recovers soon.

I’m assuming you already have a clue of what it might be? I’m thinking septicemia.

Last edited:

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That looks really bad. I’m starting to think the Danios nipping at his fins are an effect rather the cause. I know you had him for a long time. Hopefully he recovers soon.
Any idea what to do? He’s 10 this spring so I’m willing to drop *way* too much money on him. I’m wondering about the danios just having a snack after his fins started to rot as well. Just did a big water change today.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any idea what to do? He’s 10 this spring so I’m willing to drop *way* too much money on him. I’m wondering about the danios just having a snack after his fins started to rot as well. Just did a big water change today.
Sorry, I just edited my post. I’m reluctant to give medical advice, but I’d look into septicemia. However, I’m assuming your water parameters are fine, so I’m at a loss.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m wondering if that is what I’m dealing with now.
Me too, but I’m no expert. From what little I know, it does appear that way. @Gypsy13 may be of help, as I recall she is a long-time goldfish keeper and so could have some insight. The salt bath sounds like you were on the right idea, though.

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
To chip in, there are 2 things that cause streaks in goldies, septicemia and extreme stress.

It looks very bad so I am inclined to think that they didn't just eat his fins, but they also probably beat him up. Poor baby.

Salt is for before the panic button. Since the panic button was hit, I would skip the salt and go for M Blue first and antibiotics if that doesn't help. Prepare for one very blue carp because M Blue will stain every bit of damage on the big boi, and he is in a very rough shape.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To chip in, there are 2 things that cause streaks in goldies, septicemia and extreme stress.

It looks very bad so I am inclined to think that they didn't just eat his fins, but they also probably beat him up. Poor baby.

Salt is for before the panic button. Since the panic button was hit, I would skip the salt and go for M Blue first and antibiotics if that doesn't help. Prepare for one very blue carp because M Blue will stain every bit of damage on the big boi, and he is in a very rough shape.
The biggest thing is that I just think he’s too bad for salt. I don’t know what happens because it happened (all of this) very fast. Considering all the mistakes he’s survived I’d hate myself if he died cause of freaking fin rot gone bad. I’ll look for M blue. Can I have that in a separate QT tank or is it a bath. (Buying a tub to separate him anyways so that I don’t hurt my scaleless fish) what’s the full name again?

Oh! Got the go ahead to jack up the water bill from mom. She loves Jupe *almost* as much as me.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Me too, but I’m no expert. From what little I know, it does appear that way. @Gypsy13 may be of help, as I recall she is a long-time goldfish keeper and so could have some insight. The salt bath sounds like you were on the right idea, though.
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. The approach that’s always worked for me is increasing the salinity of the water and adding methylene blue. I can’t see your fish so I’m being extra cautious here. I have had to use oxytetracycline. If it looks septic, Time is of the essence.

The biggest thing is that I just think he’s too bad for salt. I don’t know what happens because it happened (all of this) very fast. Considering all the mistakes he’s survived I’d hate myself if he died cause of freaking fin rot gone bad. I’ll look for M blue. Can I have that in a separate QT tank or is it a bath. (Buying a tub to separate him anyways so that I don’t hurt my scaleless fish) what’s the full name again?

Oh! Got the go ahead to jack up the water bill from mom. She loves Jupe *almost* as much as me.
The increased salinity will help with gill function. Not as much as a salt bath if you’re getting a container for him.

Danios aren’t going to bother a ten year old healthy goldfish IMO. But, if the fish started having issues whether fin rot or too much stress, the extra blood flow to the fins and tail plus the weakening of the gf would be like an open buffet to them. I’ve got danios and sarassa comets in my pond. Hubby lets me know immediately if the danios are hanging around one of the goldies.

Last edited by a moderator:

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@Gypsy13 YES petstore has M blue!!

For a bath, how much do I use? The bottle said 1teaspoon/tablespoon per 10g. (Haven’t bought it yet) thinking of getting 2 tubs, one as a QT and one for the baths. We are gonna DRUG this guy up!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@Gypsy13 YES petstore has M blue!!

For a bath, how much do I use? The bottle said 1teaspoon/tablespoon per 10g. (Haven’t bought it yet) thinking of getting 2 tubs, one as a QT and one for the baths. We are gonna DRUG this guy up!
For the bath use one teaspoon per gallon. Premix salt in a cup of warm water till dissolved then add to bath water. Don’t leave him in there for more than three minutes and watch how he reacts when you put him in. If he’s too sensitive you may have to dilute with more water. Don’t put any other meds in the bath.

Put the mblue in his qt tank after you’ve done a few baths. Hopefully you won’t need to turn him blue but if you do, get pics.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Put the mblue in his qt tank after you’ve done a few baths. Hopefully you won’t need to turn him blue but if you do, get pics.
That’s gonna fry my BB isn’t it? Salt baths first then M blue in the QT tank?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That’s gonna fry my BB isn’t it? Salt baths first then M blue in the QT tank?
That’s what I’m saying. Badly probably. Don’t do mblue while you’re doing the salt baths. Only if the salt doesn’t seem to be helping. Give the salt baths at least 24 hours before you give up on it. If you notice any improvement, keep it up. Don’t fry you baby. And remember one to three minutes in the bath.

Also, you can put a little salt in the qt tank to help him between baths. If it’s a ten gallon just use a dissolved teaspoon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom