Shredded angel

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
Hi, my friend has a 29 gallon tank with 2 quarter sized angelfish, 2 male swordtails, 3 cories, and a small pleco, I couldn't tell what kind. The angels fins are getting shredded and I don't think it's finrot. If the other fish were chewing on them, would it be each other, or the swordtails maybe?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Maybe the swordtails? Your friend should observe the behavior of the two angels. They may or may not be fighting between each other too. He/she needs to observe them first.

OP
N

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
The tank is in her room and whenever I'm over there that's where we hang out so I get to watch them a lot too. The angels seem to get along great, I have never seen them fighting or chasing each other. They just swim peacefully near each other, and sometimes they follow each other around, but they don't seem aggressive at all. I figures it might be the swords since they are more active. They're both males. I don't know what the angels are.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't think it's the swords as they aren't known fin nippers I don't think. My angels a lot of times I don't see them nipping each other but they do and it's in my room.

p.s. maybe you should tell her to come here

guppygranny

Reaction score
How big is the pleco? If he isn't getting enough greens, he may be going after the mucus coat on the angel. Though the angels may have been schoolmates, quarter-size is getting big enough to be getting territorial. The one with the shredded fins can be perceived as being weaker by its friend and eventually will be chased and bullied. I recommend placing the wounded fish in quarantine for a week to let it heal, and closely observe the other fish for aberent behavior. If the other angel begins to show fin wear, the culprit is probably the pleco. Just hungry and doing what it has to to survive. Algae wafers should be part of the tank's diet. Good Luck. I hope your friend's angel does well. Guppygranny

OP
N

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
both of the angels have fin damage, and the pleco is about 4 inches long. She gives him an algae wafer every day, and occasionally some lettuce.

guppygranny

Reaction score
:-\ Hmmmm. Maybe she needs to devote an evening to covertly study the tank for a few hours. Ask her to turn off all the room lights and find a comfortable sitting spot close enough to the tank so it is easily observed but not so close as to be a distraction to the fish. She'll have to be quiet as to not distract the fish from what they would normally be doing in her absence. You'd be amazed by the secret life of fish from just watching for an hour. Tell her her pleco will enjoy a snack of zucchini, too. Good Luck! Guppygranny.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually I have heard that male Swords can be very aggressive. I would bet anything it's them. I'm not sure you're even supposed to keep 2 male Swords together unless you have a big tank with tons of females. But then, her tank may be big enough and Idk how much they'd fight since there's no females to fight over. But I do thing it must be the Swords nipping the Angels.

Well actually are you sure they are being nipped? Cause maybe they just have finrot. Do you happen to know the nitrates?

PS that's a really good idea Guppygranny...I bet if she (or is it he) tries that she'll find out if my hunch is right.

OP
N

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
0morrokh said:
Actually I have heard that male Swords can be very aggressive.  I would bet anything it's them.  I'm not sure you're even supposed to keep 2 male Swords together unless you have a big tank with tons of females.  But then, her tank may be big enough and Idk how much they'd fight since there's no females to fight over.  But I do thing it must be the Swords nipping the Angels. 

Well actually are you sure they are being nipped?  Cause maybe they just have finrot.  Do you happen to know the nitrates?
Yeah we tested the water with my Aquarium pharmaceuticals master test kit (whew) and the ammonia and nitrites were 0 and the nitrates were just fine, at 10. I looked at them and it is not finrot and shes dosing with melafix to make sure they don't get finrot. They were just torn in a few places, and one angelfish had a gash down the middle of the fin. But the gashes are gone now and the fins are almost back to normal except the edges are a bit ragged. Do you think she should keep dosing with melafix or no?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Anyhow, she should be performing frequent and/or larger water changes now, until the shredded fins heal. Water changes will help to keep the water clean while the fins are healing.

Every once in a while one of my Angels will have a split fin, or a bit shredded fin on the edge. I never add any medications but I perform more frequent and larger water changes. The fins heal very quickly (2-3 days; sometimes as fast a 1-2 days) without any problems. But I've had them with split/shredded fins only a few times so far.

I believe that if the water is very clean, a fish won't get sick from a split or a bit shredded fin (unless the fin is very very shredded and in a really bad shape).

New Threads