Showing Off my Blue Acara

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Picked up this guy a few weeks ago...really impressed with how quick he's coloring up, and growing like a weed too! Figured I'd show him off to you guys . Seriously underrated cichlid...if you are looking to step into the cichlid world, but don't want something overly aggressive, go Blue Acara!

127.jpg

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice Jessica. Swerve is right though, that's no Blue Acara. Definitely a Green Terror, a young male if I had to guess but it's really a bit too young to tell for certain. These guys get substantially larger than Blue Acaras & are more aggressive to. Females top out at about 10" & the males can get just over 12".

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He's gorgeous, but he's definitely a green terror. GT's and BA's are commonly mixed up. The orange tips of his fins is a good indication of a GT, not a BA.

GT's are highly aggressive when they mature.

OP
crazedACD

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks everyone. You had me second guessing myself, but I'm fairly certain he is a Blue Acara (a very well colored one at that!).

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At best it's a hybrid GT/Acara but my money is GT. I've owned both & true Blue Acaras look nothing like this. Many people commonly mistake the GT for the Acara even though they are actually quite different. This has led to lots of people interbreeding the two species & also mislabelling thier pictures. You could PM Btate & ask him to ID it for you. He's really good with Central/South American cichlids.

Peffico

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe the op is right. It is a blue acara. When young even blue acaras have been recorded to have orange tips on their fins. The 2 species are so similar when young it's hard to determine. I remember the only way to tell is that black lining under their eyes. Green terrors do not have that when they are young. Also I believe the upper back has to be a sorta dark green for it to be a terror.

Last edited:

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My vote is Green Terror as well...great lookin fish though either way. I picked up a small GT a few weeks ago. Cant wait for him/her to grow up and get some good coloring.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think everyone who has posted could be right in a way, I will give my opinion for what its worth.

Its tough to say, at first glance if you took away the black blotch under the eye it looks more green terror. But then again most blue acaras have a lot more spangling throughout their body, which this one does not. On MOST blue acaras while the blue marking is there near the mouth it isn't always as noticable in this picture. This fish is also showing 4-5 black verticle bars which is more on the blue acara side of things.
One important note that many are missing is a wild blue acara will have the orange tip fins, a trait that has disappeared within the hobby.
Another important point is since these fish are so very similiar when young they are often mixed up, by hobbiest and some farmers, which is the reason the orange is missing in todays acaras.

Because of the blue spangling on the body (although there isn't much there) and the black verticle stripping I would lean towards blue acara, but its a close one here.

Also the above link is old and outdated, blue acaras are classified as Andinoacara Pulcher, GT's are also in Andinoacara, for those who care.

Brian

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a Blue Acara and GT and to me it looks much more like my Blue Acara. As everyone else has mentioned the yellow/orange colour on the fins makes me question myself as that characteristic is very similar to my GT.

I guess to be 100% sure after reading both sides of the argument is to make a judgement when it has grown and developed more as it's too hard to tell right now.

It's a beautiful looking fish though!!!

Last edited:

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think everyone who has posted could be right in a way, I will give my opinion for what its worth.

Its tough to say, at first glance if you took away the black blotch under the eye it looks more green terror. But then again most blue acaras have a lot more spangling throughout their body, which this one does not. On MOST blue acaras while the blue marking is there near the mouth it isn't always as noticable in this picture. This fish is also showing 4-5 black verticle bars which is more on the blue acara side of things.
One important note that many are missing is a wild blue acara will have the orange tip fins, a trait that has disappeared within the hobby.
Another important point is since these fish are so very similiar when young they are often mixed up, by hobbiest and some farmers, which is the reason the orange is missing in todays acaras.

Because of the blue spangling on the body (although there isn't much there) and the black verticle stripping I would lean towards blue acara, but its a close one here.

Also the above link is old and outdated, blue acaras are classified as Andinoacara Pulcher, GT's are also in Andinoacara, for those who care.

Brian
That's interesting stuff, Brian! Maybe I should post pics of my BA's and GT's for verification as well soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom