Show Your Background/ Substrate pictures!

1. ivonko Member Member

Hey guys,

Im looking for ideas of color schemes for my tanks and realized a lot of people are probably looking for the same thing

so heres my plan, everybody post up your pictures of background/ substrate combinations (read: your aquarium), state what color the background is and what brand/color of substrate you used.

if you have plants or fish in your tank thats fine! just trying to get ideas flying around for all.

this way anybody looking for ideas has a page to go to to see a visual example of maybe an idea they have.

thank you all that participate.

and enjoy :;ha

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Here are some

PFS, no background yet....
    PFS, black bg (taped)
    carib sea sunset gold, some print bg
    Tahitian moon sand, blue window tint for a background
    TMS, black background (attached with seaview)

Attached Files:

• 125.JPG
      125.JPG
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
    • 90.JPG
      90.JPG
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
    • 75.JPG
      75.JPG
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
    • 55.JPG
      55.JPG
      File size:
      71.4 KB
      Views:
    • 45.JPG
      45.JPG
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views:

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

and the rest. Here's another of the 55 - the first didn't show the substrate

Again, TMS and blue tint
    PFS, no background yet...
    TMS, black bg (with seaview)

Attached Files:

4. ivonko Member Member

awesome!!! i love the black on black but heard you can see waste on it and its harder to keep clean. im loving the black background/tan substrate. these tanks look great! what substrate did you use for the tan?

5. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Black/black, substrate is Flourite black.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't have problems with waste in any of my tanks, to which I give credit to the massive filtration systems I run. I don't even have to vacuum.

7. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

19733.jpg 12g_3_11_12_002[1].jpg 150g_059[1].jpg

usually i use tahitian moon sand, or eco complete if i can't get tms. the white, 12g edge has fluval plant stratum. that doesn't have a background per se. it's not supposed to...but you could add one i suppose. it might take away from the design though. the big 150 has no background yet. but usually i use black or blue. i don't have pics of some of the others...but here are a few

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I know what I want to use for a background on the 125.....I'm just having a hard time finding it. It's been discontinued....

I'm not giving it away though - It's going to be unlike anything anyone has ever seen :)

9. ivonko Member Member

@jerilovesfrogs, i like the substrate used in picture 1, is that the tahiti moon sand? how is that for cleaning?

@Jaysee, what do you mean by huge filter system? if i run oversized filters etc in my setup i wont have to vacuum?

10. ivonko Member Member

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hahaha, no, I've had my vision for this tank for a while. Like I said, something no one has seen :) I think such a background would interfere with the flow in my tank. Also, it just looks like too much work and a hassle for maintenance, and I like my maintenance to be as hassle free as possible.

My filtration systems have a turnover rate of around 10x an hour, from canisters. I have 2 on each tank, and I set them up so that they oppose each other, creating a circular flow within the tank - this keeps it spotless.

Having active bottom dwellers also helps in this, because when they swim they kick stuff back up into the water column, where it will continue on it's path to the filter intake.

12. ivonko Member Member

thats genius! i need to set something like that up. i will be looking forward to you posting pics of this secret vision on this page then haha

13. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

no, i think the first pic is just play sand. that's my last tank that has it. i keep it just because the plants aren't planted. they are rhizomes...so it's not a huge deal. i want to change it thouhg. TMS is black. it's in the 3rd pic of my 150.

and you can't vacuum any of these substrates, no matter what kind of filter you have. you have to just hold the vac above the substrate.

ohhhh jaysee....you secretive lilttle.....

14. ivonko Member Member

ahh i see. how do bottem feeders do with the sand? do they have problems with ingesting the sand or do they only get the waste?

15. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

bottoms feeders don't eat waste. nothing really does. i might have seen a ghost shrimp eat it once though. but fish do well with sand. they don't ingest it...they might take it in their mouths...but spit it out again.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have very few secrets ;)

Hahaa jers, that show on australia happens to be on, and it's at that same spot :D

You actually can bury the vac tube in the pool filter sand - the 2 brands I have are both heavy enough to not get sucked out. Some will, mind you, but 95% will sink back down out of the tube when it's removed from the sand. I wouldn't LEAVE it buried, but you don't have to fear it.

The TMS you can get into too, but you have to be quick about it - in and out, and only an inch. It's lighter than the PFS, and more will get sucked out.

All fish, especially bottom dwellers, prefer sand. No, fish do not ingest sand - they can tell the difference between it and food. Also, food is less dense so the sand falls through the gills before the remaining food particles are swallowed.

17. ivonko Member Member

cool thanks for the info guys :) sorry that im a noob

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

No need to apologize for being new :)

19. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Black on black.

Attached Files:

20. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Black on black for me :) Too bad the background doesn't photograph well. Its actually a real velvety black in person.

[​IMG]