Show Me Your Clownfish

Discussion in 'Clownfish' started by Fishboy321, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Fishboy321

Fishboy321 Valued Member Member

I want a saltwater tank and want clowns but don't know what kind, it would be 30 gallons, please show me your clowns and what kind they are

2. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

For a tank that size, you will want to stick with either Ocellaris or Percula clowns. It's really hard to tell them apart nowadays, especially with all the hybrids and designer breeds. They pretty much have the same behavior as well.

Designer breeds have names like Da Vinci Clowns, Miami Whites, Snow Onyx, Snowflakes, the list goes on... do a quick google and you will see for yourself.

If you decide to buy 2 clowns. Try to buy a bonded pair. Usually designer clowns come bonded and only sell in 2's. If you get the regular clowns like me, they usually come in a big batch, I just have my LFS choose the smallest ones. All clowns are born male and as they grow up they will show whose the more dominant one, which will be the female, the bigger one.

Sometimes you might deal with over aggression with two clowns. Just simply separate the aggressive one in a in-tank breeder box for a few days and re-introduce them again until they bond together.

Here are my clowns that I bought separately. They've been inseparable since.
    Capture.PNG

3. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I personally love the traditional orange oscellaris clownfish more than the designer ones, and the designer ones are insanely priced too.

I don't have mine yet either but I am just sharing.

4. OP
    OP
    Fishboy321

What about frostbite clowns

5. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] my 2 ocelaris i bought them both at the same time i picked a tiny 2 and one has grew a little faster and is bigger now she is the boss lol. They are my most interesting fish the second pic is of them going to sleep they do it every night when i switch the lights off same spot every night.

6. OP
    OP
    Fishboy321

Lol, cute pair

7. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I have regular ocellaris clowns WIN_20170411_195540.JPG

8. Nart

Frostbite is just another designer clown. They have all sorts of names and patterns.

As long as you stick with the ocellaris or percula variants you are fine.

9. OP
    OP
    Fishboy321

Ok thanks for help, the frostbite look pretty and cool

10. Nart

I find my clowns annoying as heck. Some days I just want to flush them down the toilet lol. They never stop eating and constantly steal all the food I feed my corals.

My emerald crab does this as well.. And my skunk cleaner shrimp lol. So be warned.

11. OP
    OP
    Fishboy321

Lol, ok, good to know

12. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

My skunk cleaner shrimp will beg for pellets like the clowns do! He also eats anything else I put in there.

13. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

[​IMG] i sometimes wish i never got my peppermint shrimp lol hes not caused any serious damage yet thankfully

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice