Show Me Your Brackish/puffer Tanks!

1. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

Hi fishloreans, brackish fish keepers, and puffer lovers of all ages!

I am looking for inspiration for a brackish tank! I prefer to see puffer tanks, but any brackish tank is fine!

If you're able, please mention
    - size tank and current residents (nobody is going to nail you on stocking advice, this is purely for looking at others tanks ;))
    - plant names and decorations

Also any other puffer keeping advice or little tips you've learned please share! I am eyeing figure 8s :D

Thank you and I can't wait to be overwhelmed with awe over some aquariums!

LT aka Lil Puffy on puffer forum :)

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Sorry no pics right now, I'm having to move things around a bit.

I've got a violet goby right now in a 60 gal tank with some mollies, and a big piece of live rock off to the left center of the tank. No other decorations, no plants, as of right now.

I've been thinking about getting puffers, but am not sure if they'd go with the goby or not.

3. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Sadly I can't show any tanks but I've been wanting to try brackish for awhile. figure 8s are on my list list. Supposed to be one of the more peaceful Puffers, and better looking IMO.

If you want inspiration for something really unique (setup & fish), look at Indian dwarf mudskippers!

What size tank can you accommodate?

4. OP
    OP
    Little Tank of Happiness

@APierce I've read about f8 puffers living with dragon and bumblebee gobies, but I don't know if it would be the same for your violet goby. Sometimes it works out when they are juvi (which most are sold as) then as they grow up it sometimes doesn't work. They'd rather be kept singleton but I think if you did some careful research it could be do-able. Sounds like a nice tank!

@MJDuti Yes they are "peaceful" in puffer language, at least haha. I agree, the mudskippers look real unique! No clue where I could get them though. I have a 20 long that has a freshwater community in it (sadly when it was set up I didn't know much about cycling) so I am going to move them into a 20 tall and the long will be for the puffer. Thickly planted with live plants and caves is what I am going for :)

Oh, and my profile picture is a gsp from the store today. Came right up to greet me! I'm not quite ready though to take on a puffer... probably someday! They also had figure 8s but the gsp were closer to the front. As I read more about green spotted puffers I'm more and more dragged to 8s...

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Mine is also called a dragon goby. He's fairly big now though (about 13 1/2 inches). I've looked at bumble bee gobies and different species of brackish puffers, but all of them say they can be semi aggressive and he's not so at all, so I don't want him ending up stressed from other fish. I'd definitely have to do some major researching.

6. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Let me know how your plants do when you figure this out. I've always read and seen Val species do well in low-end brackish. I've heard java fern & some anubias can but would like to see this for myself. I have java fern and an anubias nana petite in my hard water and while they are doing fairly well, they are not doing incredible. You could get a little crazy and go the mangrove route!

7. OP
    OP
    Little Tank of Happiness

I certainly will! My goal is to have the puffer by July, so you'll probably get a notification somewhere near then! ;) This will definitely be an experiment. I just love love planted tanks!

I read that java fern can take hard water; didn't say it would thrive though. Just said it could "tolerate" it.

A mangrove route would be awesome! I have to consider that!

8. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I love puffers, already got 3 tanks 2 fresh and 1 salt but seen some figure 8 puffers at the shop the other day and i wanted one so bad haha i should of got some pics have a google they dont get too big i can see me finding a 20 gal tank from somewhere but my bird would probably kill me lol

9. OP
    OP
    Little Tank of Happiness

Yeah they certainly steal your heart in a second ;) I will post some pics tomorrow of the gsp at my store. Didn't get a pic of a figure 8.

20 gals aren't too hard to find. Mine is from a starter kit while it was on sale. And they are perfect size so I can find some place to tuck one in ;)

PS: My internet is acting up so this probably won't even post lol

10. OP
    OP
    Little Tank of Happiness

Sorry you can see the entire imprint of my phone haha 20170406_130502.jpg 20170406_130322.jpg