Show me your bare bottomed tanks!

hollie1505
I have put a sand substrate in my Goldie tank and I now wish to change that to bare bottomed. I know to remove it slowly but I am having an unforseen problem. My other half has taken a sudden interest in said tank and doesn't want me to remove the tank, so I need your help! Can you show me your bare bottomed tanks so I can show him how lovely they are and what you can do with them

Thank you!x

Marie1
Goldie tank. Nothing special, but it is easy to keep clean.

Rivieraneo
Here you go.

Flowingfins

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407204393.409532.jpg
My bettas five gallon

Slug
Goldie tank. Nothing special, but it is easy to keep clean.

Curious to know what color paint this is? I like it. Its kind of green looking.

A barebottom tank will look as clean and sleek as you keep it. The focus really is on the fish after all right? At least most times. It will be SO much easier to clean.

Marie1
Curious to know what color paint this is? I like it. Its kind of green looking
It's hunter green. I have that one, and 75 flower horn tank that is light blue, and the rest of them are black. I like the green too. Might do it again one of these days.

hollie1505
These are all great! I love how clean it looks. Thanks guys!x

Keep them coming!xx

millca

Here's my 54G tank when I first set it up. I was using two common goldfish to help me cycle the tank (now sort of regret that decision as they aren't known to be the best, disease-free type of fish to cycle a tank with). Live and learn. They are doing quite well, but I will likely need to completely breakdown the tank and clean it out thoroughly once I finally get to the point of needing this tank for my ranchus. That won't be for a while so the commons have a great home for a bit longer.

I LOVE bare bottom tanks. As the others have already stated, they are super easy to keep clean. I NEVER have to use the syphon hose to vacuum anything up at all ever because my SunSun 304B filter sucks it all up. Truly an amazing filter.

So I would highly recommend bare bottom tank especially with goldfish. As long as you have a painted background to hide all of the pipes and cords, they are really a great looking tank.

hollie1505
These really are great! I started removing sand with my water change last night!

I have told the other half that if he really doesn't like it, I will put the sand back in. But, I already love it being bare bottom! When the goldies swim over that small section, the way their underbellies glow is incredible!

I think my plan to use terra cotta pots will still work but I can have a move around once all the sand is gone

But I'm getting some great ideas here!

And more bare bottoms ?xx

hollie1505
Thank you! I have removed all the sand and have 7 terra cotta pots in there but I am at a loss at how to decorate it!xx

Disc61
Well, the nice thing about a bare bottom tank is if you don't like how it ends up it is easy to rearrange. this gives you a ton of options as it is so much easier to start over.

blusshed

e57ee44fc82746ec68e7ac67f587a8aaab80748a1e5ca59ce915dd69eff7402b.jpg
Slender the axolotl's rehab center.

hollie1505
I love the look of every single one! The completely bare ones are lovely, as are the planted and decorated ones.... this tank will be changed weekly forever more!

thanks guys!x

hawkifan74
I love the idea of the bare bottom aquarium. I would never have thought of that. Do you still have any bottom feeders, such as Cory cats? I have a 45 gallon hexagonal I'm about to start and I really love this idea of no rocks to vacuum!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

hollie1505
You can have Cories but they do love sand I would at least put some substrate in for them. Sand is actually the same to vac as barebottom - you hover over the sand and swirl... no digging around with the vacuum The only difference with bare bottom is that you can hold the vac as close to the base as you like without sucking up any substrate!xx

EDIT: Disc61 pictures and video in post #11 & #12 shows how you could have bare bottom and sand easily.

It's only fair if I show mine too, I guess. Ignore the diatoms (grrr), this is the "planted section" there is nothing in the rest of the tank

20140825_001830_resized_1.jpg

blusshed
It's only fair if I show mine too, I guess. Ignore the diatoms (grrr), this is the "planted section" there is nothing in the rest of the tank

View attachment 148087

That looks really nice!

hawkifan74
Hollie, Does it matter what type of sand I use? Does it need to be really fine grain? Or will any cleaned sand do?

hollie1505
For cories? It needs to be soft, sharp sand will hurt their barbels. Most sand is soft, but rub it between your fingers and if it's sharp, it's no good. I use play sand in all my tanks and the Cories love it!xx

hawkifan74
Hollie thanks so much for your help. I did get play sand and will be ready to set up my tank this weekend. I did talk to a guy at my local fish place and he was a bit concerned about the sand being confused as food and the fish choking to death. You seem to have no problems if I understand you correctly. How much sand do you recommend? 1" or more? Thanks again!

hollie1505
No worries

I have never had problems with sand. I have heard of two instances where sand has been an issue. Once with a Goldie and once with a Betta but unless they were dissected, you couldn't guarantee that was the cause. Personally I am more afraid of them getting gravel stuck in their mouths, at least with sand they can filter it out their gills or spit it out. Many aquariums use sand, the ocean also has quite a bit of sand in it and the fish manage

Play sand needs more washing than you could ever dream of. I just use a 3Gallon bucket and fill it about 1/3 of the way with sand, run water through it and swril it around for a good 30 minutes and even then it probably isn't clean enough! Then repeat until you have the desired amount.

I like 1" as any thicker and you risk anaerobic pockets forming and potentially harming your fish. To avoid it just run your fingers through the sand weekly although with shallow sand it's not really necessary, especially if it's planted, the roots will disturb it enough.

I have found two good ways to put the sand in. Both ways involve filling the tank with water first then one way is to use a drinks bottle the other is to fill a cup with wet sand and lower it slowly to the bottom of the tank upright then tilt it slowly and pour it gently out onto the base of the tank.

If you do decide to put in the sand and then fill the tank up, lay a sheet of card on the substrate and pour your water onto that, it will reduce the disturbance caused by the water.

Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nimthirel
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kathylee
  • Question
Replies
Views