Show me your bare bottomed tanks!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by hollie1505, Aug 4, 2014.

1. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have put a sand substrate in my Goldie tank and I now wish to change that to bare bottomed. I know to remove it slowly but I am having an unforseen problem. My other half has taken a sudden interest in said tank and doesn't want me to remove the tank, so I need your help! Can you show me your bare bottomed tanks so I can show him how lovely they are and what you can do with them :)

Thank you!x

2. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Goldie tank. Nothing special, but it is easy to keep clean.

3. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

4. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407204393.409532.jpg
    My bettas five gallon:)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Curious to know what color paint this is? I like it. Its kind of green looking.

A barebottom tank will look as clean and sleek as you keep it. The focus really is on the fish after all right? At least most times. It will be SO much easier to clean.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Marie1

It's hunter green. I have that one, and 75 flower horn tank that is light blue, and the rest of them are black. I like the green too. Might do it again one of these days.

7. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

These are all great! I love how clean it looks. Thanks guys!x

Keep them coming!xx

8. millca

millca Valued Member Member

[video=youtube;RQ1W-QJHSzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ1W-QJHSzI[/video]

Here's my 54G tank when I first set it up. I was using two common goldfish to help me cycle the tank (now sort of regret that decision as they aren't known to be the best, disease-free type of fish to cycle a tank with). Live and learn. They are doing quite well, but I will likely need to completely breakdown the tank and clean it out thoroughly once I finally get to the point of needing this tank for my ranchus. That won't be for a while so the commons have a great home for a bit longer.

I LOVE bare bottom tanks. As the others have already stated, they are super easy to keep clean. I NEVER have to use the syphon hose to vacuum anything up at all ever because my SunSun 304B filter sucks it all up. Truly an amazing filter.

So I would highly recommend bare bottom tank especially with goldfish. As long as you have a painted background to hide all of the pipes and cords, they are really a great looking tank.

9. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

These really are great! I started removing sand with my water change last night!

I have told the other half that if he really doesn't like it, I will put the sand back in. But, I already love it being bare bottom! When the goldies swim over that small section, the way their underbellies glow is incredible!

I think my plan to use terra cotta pots will still work but I can have a move around once all the sand is gone :)

But I'm getting some great ideas here!

And more bare bottoms ;) ?xx

10. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

here are a few

11. Disc61

12. Disc61

How about a video

13. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

Thank you! I have removed all the sand and have 7 terra cotta pots in there but I am at a loss at how to decorate it!xx

14. Disc61

Well, the nice thing about a bare bottom tank is if you don't like how it ends up it is easy to rearrange. this gives you a ton of options as it is so much easier to start over.

15. Marie1

A fry tank

16. blusshed

blusshed Well Known Member Member

e57ee44fc82746ec68e7ac67f587a8aaab80748a1e5ca59ce915dd69eff7402b.jpg
    Slender the axolotl's rehab center.

17. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

I love the look of every single one! The completely bare ones are lovely, as are the planted and decorated ones.... this tank will be changed weekly forever more!

thanks guys!x

18. hawkifan74

hawkifan74 Valued Member Member

I love the idea of the bare bottom aquarium. I would never have thought of that. Do you still have any bottom feeders, such as Cory cats? I have a 45 gallon hexagonal I'm about to start and I really love this idea of no rocks to vacuum!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

You can have Cories but they do love sand :) I would at least put some substrate in for them. Sand is actually the same to vac as barebottom - you hover over the sand and swirl... no digging around with the vacuum :D The only difference with bare bottom is that you can hold the vac as close to the base as you like without sucking up any substrate!xx

EDIT: Disc61 pictures and video in post #11 & #12 shows how you could have bare bottom and sand easily.

20. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

It's only fair if I show mine too, I guess. Ignore the diatoms (grrr), this is the "planted section" there is nothing in the rest of the tank :)

20140825_001830_resized_1.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice