Show Me Your Awesome Blackwater Setups!! (No chatting)

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Petchratn said:
Is this for bettas, Petsmart worker said my betta tank ph 6.4 need to raise ph up, I am thinking about the ph buffer.
This is for either wild bettas or (more likely) licorice gouramies...domestic bettas would likely be fine at that PH as long as it is stable. If you want to increase the PH anyway, do it slowly...increasing PH usually requires increasing another parameter, KH (carbonate hardness), and sudden changes of 2-3 degrees or more KH (about 36-54 ppm) are very stressful to fish and inverts alike.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 20g blackwater. Leaves are in the filter. Maple leaves. I will move them to make litter one day.
20191128_111314.jpg

I have 8 gold tetras and 1 BN pleco in here. I swear they are in there! Very timid fish!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Joshaeus said:
Don't know if this counts as awesome, but here's my 5 gallon blackwater setup, currently about a month old and with a PH in the low 5's;

View attachment 639254
Hey, I just noticed you have a coke bottle filter! I built the same thing lol! (Not the tank I posted).

Oh and I forgot about my QT tank. Maybe not awesome, but perhaps blackwater....I have IALs in there ;)
20191201_003853.jpg

I am quarantining 9 angelfish I recently have acquired.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually tore down Frankie's set up and redid it. Removed substrate and revamped his filter. Mostly because i was finding it hard to keep the gravel clean with using the DIY filter and leaf litter. Ramshorns are messy. Bare bottom will be easier to maintain. I will update photos when the water clears, got a bit of a bacterial bloom lol. Filter removed the sponge off the top in favour of more biomedia and rocks for a natural filtration. Meant most for biological filtration, powered with an airhose like a sponge filter would be.
20191202_042605(0).jpg

All torn down, cleaned out and ready to go. White plastic knitting sheet to protect glass from heavy hardscape (the granite slab)
20191202_024555.jpg

The DIY biofilter. Used rocks(new), old gravel (cycled), smaller (cycled) biomedia, and large biomedia (new).
Old gravel is carribsea cichlid sand, to help keep my pH from crashing in this tank since i have a high pH naturally in my tap water. I dont want it yo-yoing on poor Frankie.
20191202_031315.jpg

All set up with freshly boiled leaves, small bit of old tank water.
20191202_041237.jpg

Its just Franklin and ramshorn snails in here, since dear little Betsy pass3d away the other day.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Past the gross bacterial bloom, just coming into the fun biofilm stage.. lots of debris, but next water change should reduce that.
Water has darkened nicely to a golden red colour and Frankie is happy.
20191204_061128.jpg

20191204_062118.jpg
20191204_061635.jpg

This will conclude this saga of a Blackwater mess :p

JustAFishServant

Valued Member
Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
Past the gross bacterial bloom, just coming into the fun biofilm stage.. lots of debris, but next water change should reduce that.
Water has darkened nicely to a golden red colour and Frankie is happy.
View attachment 641089
View attachment 641092View attachment 641093

This will conclude this saga of a Blackwater mess :p
Oh my goodness!! Frankie is so cute!! Looks almost like my dearest Honey!! :D And that blackwater setup is absolutely stunning!!! But I've got a quick question...Are you able to make a heavily-planted blackwater? Most blackwater setups I see have little to no plants at all. Just making sure. Thanks!! :D

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Low light plants. The tannins can seriously lower light level, so plants could suffer, but if you use the right ones (low light), they are ok. Using these plants gets expensive and takes years to fill in a tank. Also stem plants that need more light end up reaching for the light and look sparse, that's why there is often little plants in a blackwater setup.

But I mean if we are trying to recreate blackwater bodies of water, they are filled with leaf litter and fallen branches, lots of vegetation growing emersed and very little plants underwater.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom