Shoulder Humps

abc123userabc123
What do you guys think of koi humps behind their heads? Do you like them or not?

BottomDweller
I like a koi to have shoulder humps. Not massive ones but you should be able to see them.

abc123userabc123
I like a koi to have shoulder humps. Not massive ones but you should be able to see them.
A small crease behind its head you mean? I on the other hand prefer a smooth transition from head to shoulder

smee82

Ive never noticed any shoulders on koi. Ill have to have a look next time I'm at the fish markets.

Fishcat
Can you put up pictures of what you’re talking about - your preferred type of koi? I’m afraid I know very little about the finer points of koi conformation, but I’m curious now.

abc123userabc123
Can you put up pictures of what you’re talking about - your preferred type of koi? I’m afraid I know very little about the finer points of koi conformation, but I’m curious now.
Oh, I think they are rare on regular koi, but those from Japanese breeders and Japanese shows tend to feed them to the point where the whole body excluding the head is bloated, thus making the hump. Although a hump is bone structure on some fish, it is not always obvious

abc123userabc123

Most Japanese koi especially the ones in shows are like this. Their blimp like bodies frustrate me

hoseki
Japanese koi can grow over 3 ft. When a koi is growing into larger size and it doesn't have that body confirmation, it will look like a stick or a big pencil. the whole shape just lost its balance. A lot of koi that you find in the shop do not have that kind of body confirmation. Even for Japanese koi, not all of them have that body confirmation. It's all related to gens or the parent koi and the way you grow the koi.
This koi is at 101 cm was just auctioned in Japan by SakaI Koi Farm. It was sold at Japanese Yen 203,000,000 or around US$1.8M. This is a new world record.

goldface
I think it’s muscle, not from bloating from being overfed. I’ve seen what overfed fish look like from above. Their midsection, their belly protrudes from the sides, viewed from the top.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• The fish guy11122
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Demeter
Top Bottom