Should you use used planted tank substrate?

BlueRaccoon

Hello,
I just bought a 54g that came with dirt substrate for plants. It's the dark brown pebble like substrate. Should I use this? I planned to clean everything really well, I'm not sure if that is possible with this substrate. I would love to have it, but I don't know.....

dcutl002

Aw man. That sounds like ADA Aquasoil, Fluval Stratum or something close. That stuff is expensive! I'd give it a go. Even Low Tech plants will do well in that substrate.

BlueRaccoon

Aw man. That sounds like ADA Aquasoil, Fluval Stratum or something close. That stuff is expensive! I'd give it a go. Even Low Tech plants will do well in that substrate.
Thank you! Yes, it was very exciting since I didn't pay any extra for it. He just threw it in at the end. Is it safe to rinse it super well? Do you think I would need to worry about disease or anything? Also, I haven't had a tank for a while. So I'm not a beginner, but it's been a bit. Do you think this substrate is ok for beginners? Will it goof up my parameters?

dcutl002

Is it safe to rinse it super well?
Since it is essentially pelletized compacted dirt, I would not rinse it. You will wash away the finer particles.
Do you think I would need to worry about disease or anything?
If that is a concern, I would let the substrate dry out. If it is already dry,..you're good.

Do you think this substrate is ok for beginners? Will it goof up my parameters?
I think it'll be fine. I would just start out with plants only for 2-4 weeks and keep an eye on Nitrates and phosphates. If you are satisfied that everything is okay, I would then add fauna.
Have you decided the type of plants that you are going for? Low-Tech or High-Tech.

BlueRaccoon

Since it is essentially pelletized compacted dirt, I would not rinse it. You will wash away the finer particles.

If that is a concern, I would let the substrate dry out. If it is already dry,..you're good.

I think it'll be fine. I would just start out with plants only for 2-4 weeks and keep an eye on Nitrates and phosphates. If you are satisfied that everything is okay, I would then add fauna.
Have you decided the type of plants that you are going for? Low-Tech or High-Tech.
Thank you for your thoughts! I plan to start with the classics. Things like anubias, Java fern, and the marimo moss ball.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
KeriMc
Replies
Views
andy305mia
Replies
Views