Should You See Plants Bubbling?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Florian Pellet, Apr 17, 2017.

1. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Hey all,
    I just rescaped my high-tech tank (1st in my signature). It has high light (finnex 24/7), CO2 and Tropica's Aquarium Soil Powder. It's been planted for a couple days (bolbitis heudelotii, marsilea hirsuta, rotala bonsai, hemiantus cuba, anubia nana) and none of the plants are bubbling oxygen. Is this normal? I remember the first time I planted this tank I could see all the plants pearling with oxygen bubbles for weeks.
    thanks

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

When running CO2 is your pH 7.0? Also, do not forget Macro and Micro ferts.

3. OP
    OP
    F

I should check my pH. What's the aim? For my pH to remain the same with and without CO2 right?
    As for ferts, there's no need for the first few months: the soil is taking care of that. I'll start dosing after a while (I do have ferts for my other tanks though).

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Could it be possible your plants are still adapting to your tank, and therefore aren't growing too much yet? Were they immersed or submersed when you bought them?

5. OP
    OP
    F

Bolbiti was in a tank before but still has its emersed form, so I'm guessing it hasn't been in water for long. Anubias were in an old tank and covered in brown algae so they might be recuperating. All the other ones were in those tropica 1-2-Grow! pots so I'm not sure...

6. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

CO2 lowers the pH of the water so an alkaline water is desirable and more stable. The goal is to get to a pH of 7.0 or somewhere close. Tanks without fish can go lower and the plants will "pearl" like crazy, but with fish you really do not want to venture too far away from 7.0. There is less pearling, but the fish can breathe.

Also, do not forget about fertilizers...Macro and Micro.

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I would go w maks response on the adjusting to the tank, esp if they are tissue cultures will take time to adjust. Even those that were in tank take a bit of time to rebound when replanted...
    not sure if they pearl while growing roots????!?!?!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice