Should You Ever Euthanize A Betta Who Still Eats?

MasonL14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My Betta has been struggling with dropsy for a couple weeks now, while I attempted to use epsom salt baths and jungle fungus clear immediately, it’s only gotten worse. His whole body is bloated and even his gills bloat out away from his body.

Throughout the day and night he’s mainly motionless, seemingly only moving to choose another spot to be motionless. I planned on euthanizing him with clove oil today, but now I’m reconsidering because he somewhat quickly came up for food and successfully ate all 3 pellets I gave him.

His fins are looking bad. They’ve never been perfect but I never have seen them this torn up before.

At this point I feel like the time is ticking. I’ve considered going to buy maracyn two and giving him that.

Any input?

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just because he is eating dosent mean the dropsy will take over. Too me it sounds like the final stages of dropsy are getting him... He may not even last through the night.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is the fish still alive? If so, is he pineconed or just bloated? What is the tank temp? What do you generally feed him? Have you tried feeding him peas?

If you are not seeing pineconing then I would hold off on euthanasia. Has he been pooping? Before I knew how to keep fish I lost multiple bettas to bloat, due to their water being too cold and slowing digestion. Have you fasted him at all either? If not, I would say at least stop feeding him for a day or two, then try peas. Keeping up with epsom dips won't hurt. Dropsy is not an illness, but a symptom of advanced organ failure - if he is pineconed then euthanize. But I've never had a fish with dropsy still eating, so I suspect it's possible your fish is just extremely constipated. Internal parasites are another possibility.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom