Should this plan for my tank work out?

1. Marc Well Known Member Member

First off, this is my first tank so I'm obviously inexperienced with this kind of thing. However, I have spent quite some time looking all of this up so I'm fairly confidant it will work but I'd really like a 2nd (or 3rd :) ) opinion.

Basically, I have already purchased myself all of the equipment needed for my tank and the tank itself. I got a 55gal tank and made sure to get a suitable filter (Penguin BIO-Wheel 330), lights, aeration, and heat. The thermometer is checking out at 78 degrees and the water has been dechlorinated and is at about 6.9-7 pH. It has been running like this for a few days and I have been adding BioZyme and small amounts of fish food to kickstart the cycling. At this point it seems like everything is OK, and I'm starting it out by putting Cherry Barbs in. That way, they won't immediately die if something is wrong and I can have some time to correct the problem, since they are supposedly very hardy fish. After a week with the barbs in, I was going to put more fish in - and continue with this until I get all of the fish I plan to add. Basically, I wanted several Angelfish but probably no more than 4, depending on the ones stocked at my local petshop. I was also considering a single Bala Shark, an Opaline Gourami, a Siamese Algae Eater, and some Clown Loach after a few months so I could be sure it would be well established and cycled.

I was just wondering if there were any noticeable flaws in what I'm doing and whether or not I should change it at all.

Thank you for your time! :)

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I would use extreme caution with putting in the clown loaches and bala shark. In both cases, the average size for these fishes is 12-13 inches. 55 gallon seems to be the minimum tank size for these fish. But if you are planning to put in the bala shark and you are set, i would think about getting him/her a companion, because they are definately better together. Are very fun to watch when there are two or more! ;D

3. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I know how hard it is when you get your first tank not to go out and get the fish Immediately, but why would you want to put fish in knowing they are hardy and could stand the conditions being poor? Why not just wait a bit longer and do a fishless cycle? It just seems more humane. I know most folk still do the old "put the fish in and let him do it for you" method, but it can be done without putting some fish through it and it really doesn't take any longer.

My opinion. :)

Rose
    :)

4. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, like I said, I have been letting it run as is for a few days and have been adding the enzymes and food twice daily, so it has already been started. I didn't just toss them right in disregarding whether or not they would be safe :)

Someone else recommended to get a second Bala so I guess it'd be a good thing to do. I've heard to be cautious with sharp objects though so I'm a little worried about what I can put in the tank - does it have to be protruding to be considered dangerous for them?

And about the Clown Loaches. I've decided to only put them in if my tank is small enough at that point. I'd really like them but I don't want to overcrowd my tank :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Have you got a test kit to test the levels of ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate???
    The Bala Shark is a bad idea unless you will give it away when it gets too big but that isn't real good fishkeeping. Same as the Clown Loach.

Good Luck!

6. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Other very hardy fish that are great for cycling are minnows and danios.